• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Starter Library €1900 to spend

Share/Bookmark

Starter Library €1900 to spend

I'm just starting composition and sound design for TV and Film (previously house, techno producer).

I own:
    Spectrasonics Omnisphere
    Spectrasonics Trilian
    NI Kontakt 3.5, Absynth 4, Massive, Maschine, Kore, Reaktor, FM8
    Miroslav Philharmonik
    FXpansion BFD2
    FXpansion SynthSquad
    Camelaudio Alchemy
    Heavyocity Evolve Mutations 2
    NI True Strike Tension Soundpack

I plan to buy the following:

Project Sam Symphobia(undecided as to whether to go for 1 or 2 )
    Studio Box Mark II Effects
    VSL Apassionata Strings I
    VSL Epic Horns

Do you think this is a good allocation of my budget or do you think I should go a different route given my requirements? If I go with Symphobia should i go with 1 or 2?
    Thanks for your help.

Hugh

Re: Starter Library €1900 to spend

Hugh,

Depends on what sounds you're looking for. My choice for orchestral would be

Cinematic Strings or LASS Lite (good strings are essential for realism) and probably your top priority for orchestral

Vienna woodwind (free with Kontakt so you should already have these)

Project SAM Orchestral Brass

EastWest SO for percussion (I'm using Gold but you could get away with Silver Edition)

The above should fall into your budget with plenty to spare for solo instruments such as Kirk Hunter solo romantic violin which costs next to nothing and is superb.

Regards, Graham

Thanks for the Reply Graham. Would Symphobia / Epic Horns not cover my brass needs? Also how does LASS compare with VSL Apassionata Strings? Symphobia is very enticing due to its apparent immediacy and my lack of Orchestral knowledge.
    Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by hubiedubie View Post
    Thanks for the Reply Graham. Would Symphobia / Epic Horns not cover my brass needs? Also how does LASS compare with VSL Apassionata Strings? Symphobia is very enticing due to its apparent immediacy and my lack of Orchestral knowledge.
    Hugh
    Hugh,

Epic Horns is, to the best of my knowledge, just horns. Similarly, Apassionata is just muted 'lush' strings. In both cases, this would be fine if that's all you need but I think it would be rather restrictive. Are you planning to use the free Kontakt stuff and Miroslav for your general orchestral requirements? If so, I still think a good general purpose string library would be worth considering. I also purchased Miroslav for it's warmer string sound but quickly abandoned it because of its poor legato. (The latest Miroslav strings are superb if you can afford them though!).

I'm less sure about Symphobia as I don't use them. I think they're highly rated for prerecorded phrases and effects. As a purist composer, that wouldn't suit me - but for film work, it might be an excellent choice.

Regards,

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post
    Hugh,
    In both cases, this would be fine if that's all you need but I think it would be rather restrictive. Are you planning to use the free Kontakt stuff and Miroslav for your general orchestral requirements?
    Yes exactly. So LASS is a superior solution than Apassionata? How does it compare with the lite version?

Cheers,
    Hugh

Re. "NI Kontakt 3.5"
    ---I'd definitely consider an upgrade to Kontakt 4.1 as many of the libraries now are being designed to take advantage of Kontakt 4's new features.

Re. Symphobia " I think they're highly rated for prerecorded phrases and effects"
    ---I would suggest that 'the Symphobias' are also way more than that, have some wonderful multis and new legato sections and much more, so IMO can be a valuable addition to the arsenal of many composers.
    Hugh, I notice that you have another thread going about Symphobia, so I responded to your question about those products in that one. S2 has some wonderful horn patches, and while the number of multis is fewer in S2 (more to come) they are all very usable. The recent update to S1 has made both S1 and S2 a great team. And before considering "VSL Epic Horns" maybe c/o Symphobia 2 first?? If it's individual horns you require then VSL, EWQL, Chris Hein etc. all have excellent products. For horns I use several different programs (my choice depends on what I require at the time).

Re. "LASS"
    --Yes most definitely an excellent product, but I'm not so sure I could get by with just the Lite version myself. Perhaps others can, but I suggest that one check out what's missing in the lite version before ordering.

Re. EWQLSO
    ---Yes, definitely consider this, especially when it's on sale. It's a no brainer! I'd go for the Gold version with the extra mic positions. The latter make quite a difference to the overall sound output of Gold.

So many good products from which a composer can choose, so for me some of these questions are a little difficult to answer. .............frank
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Yes exactly. So LASS is a superior solution than Apassionata? How does it compare with the lite version?

Cheers,
    Hugh
    Hugh,

LASS Lite contains all the articulations found in the full version. It doesn't include solo chair and divisi capability. I agree with Frank - these are great to have and can be added later if required.

Also, go for the Kontakt upgrade to 4 as Frank suggests.

Regards, Graham

Thanks for the tips. Especially the Kirk Hunter Ones: picked up Solo Violin, Romantic Violin and Solo Viola last night - they're fantastic and unbelievable value.

I recommend you get LASS Lite and then upgrade to full later when you're used to working with LASS otherwise. This way you have a "backdoor" if you don't like it and quite honestly, LASS Lite (the full section patches) do a really good job as they are already. Then divisi stuff brings more realism, but you can get very well started with the Lite as well.

Another thing: if you don't have a proper convolution reverb, buy Altiverb!!! This will bring your samples alive, it's REALLY REALLY worth the money.
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Thanks for the tips. Especially the Kirk Hunter Ones: picked up Solo Violin, Romantic Violin and Solo Viola last night - they're fantastic and unbelievable value.
    Hi Hugh,

I may be wrong but I think Kirk Hunter is about to discontinue the Romantic Violin, so good move if you managed to snap this one up. I wasted a lot of time (and money) on other solo violins and none delivered. I downloaded the Romantic Violin from KH for little more than the cost of a cheap night out - and with minimal effort got very pleasing results. Here it is:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=8123610

I was rather embarrassed when folk said the solo sounded so good when I actually paid virtually no attention to it at all. It's straight out of Finale with no midi tweaking apart from standard notation expressions which Finale handles with ease.

Regards,

Graham

Go Back to forum