• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: MacBook Pro with solid state hard drive

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    MacBook Pro with solid state hard drive

    Other than the fact that they are expensive, is there any downside to purchasing a MacBook pro with a large solid state drive for use as a DAW? Perhaps even a 500 gig solid state drive? Probably get about 4 gigs of RAM.

    I would use this portable computer for Finale with playback of Garritan Personal Orchestra and likely some other libraries, such as Xsamples and Garritan Steinway, and I would consider installing Logic Pro.

    And I would consider getting an Apogee Duet as a sound card and perhaps an external hard drive for music files and audio files, keeping the samples and operating system on the solid state drive.

    Are there any downsides? Still limited by space? Too much for a portable computer? Too much heat? Not enough room inside?

    And does the solid state drive improve in latency?

    Thanks.

    David

  2. #2

    Re: MacBook Pro with solid state hard drive

    At this point, there aren't any 500GB SSDs. The Intel drives are the only ones to get, and they're max is 160GB

    But if you want performance, get a desktop system, not a laptop.

  3. #3

    Re: MacBook Pro with solid state hard drive

    On the apple website, you can configure a Macbook pro with 512 gigs of solid state hard drive.

    I already have a desktop with lots of features for music. I am looking for something that is portable, for weekends when I am away.

    David

  4. #4

    Re: MacBook Pro with solid state hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by wcreed View Post
    At this point, there aren't any 500GB SSDs. The Intel drives are the only ones to get, and they're max is 160GB

    But if you want performance, get a desktop system, not a laptop.
    There are 500GB SSD-drives for Macbook Pro.
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

  5. #5

    Re: MacBook Pro with solid state hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by chambermusic View Post
    Other than the fact that they are expensive, is there any downside to purchasing a MacBook pro with a large solid state drive for use as a DAW? Perhaps even a 500 gig solid state drive? Probably get about 4 gigs of RAM.

    I would use this portable computer for Finale with playback of Garritan Personal Orchestra and likely some other libraries, such as Xsamples and Garritan Steinway, and I would consider installing Logic Pro.

    And I would consider getting an Apogee Duet as a sound card and perhaps an external hard drive for music files and audio files, keeping the samples and operating system on the solid state drive.

    Are there any downsides? Still limited by space? Too much for a portable computer? Too much heat? Not enough room inside?

    And does the solid state drive improve in latency?

    Thanks.

    David
    The software you're about to get and the purposes don't sound THAT demanding, so I'm quite sure laptop will fit your needs... the combo your suggesting will probably even be enough WITHOUT the SSD-drive, so SSD will bring a huge improvement.

    I'd personally say that the biggest downside of a laptop is the sound it makes. Yes, it does get warm too, but when you mix your music, the source of the sound is the laptop right in front of you, which isn't good at all. Again, if you're more into notation-stuff, maybe this doesn't bother you. And I've been mixing for long too with a laptop, but just gets very annoying. Especially if you want to record something in the same room, my laptop get sometimes VERY noisy.
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

  6. #6

    Re: MacBook Pro with solid state hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by karvasika View Post
    There are 500GB SSD-drives for Macbook Pro.

    Interesting. An SSD will make your system run cooler, and therefore, probably quieter.

  7. #7

    Re: MacBook Pro with solid state hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by wcreed View Post
    Interesting. An SSD will make your system run cooler, and therefore, probably quieter.
    Good point!
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

  8. #8

    Re: MacBook Pro with solid state hard drive

    for small to medium sized sample libraries you're better off spending money on ram first. i'd start with a 500gb 7200rpm non-ssd (only $75 and makes a good backup if you decide to swap it out) and max out ram ($250), and see how it performs... if it's not up to par, a great option is to replace the dvd drive with a second drive, and this one can be a smaller ssd that is large enough for you sample libraries:
    http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/
    this lets you double up with the best of both worlds: large non-ssd for the things that don't need the speed, and a smaller (and thus much less expensive...a 512gb ssd is $1400!!) ssd for the essential files like sample libraries.

  9. #9

    Re: MacBook Pro with solid state hard drive

    Sounds like good advice. Lots of RAM. Perhaps a smaller SSD and then a larger hard drive for Finale files and audio files. I think that I can get 4 gigs of RAM on a Laptop and will go for it.

    Thanks,

    David

  10. #10

    Re: MacBook Pro with solid state hard drive

    I've got a MacBook Pro (2007) and with 4Gb it's quite capable of running GPO without an SSD. However, I don't know what the Steinway eats in terms of resources. But more RAM is a bigger bonus than an SSD. If you still like an SSD, scientist's advice is a good one. I've heard from people in other forums that that gives a pretty good performance, while not costing an arm and a leg.
    Theo

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •