• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Frenzy" (Solo Cello With Piano)

Share/Bookmark

"Frenzy" (Solo Cello With Piano)

Y'all,

This is "Frenzy", my work for solo cello with piano.

The piano, which I think plays an important part in the composition, is Garritan, the cello is not.

Regards to all.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Frenzy" (Solo Cello With Piano)

There are some nice melodic moments in the cello part, but it seems to me that you missed some opportunities to create music that was truly "frenzied". Maybe your lack of familiarity with the cello was the root of this? Some changes of technique here and there would have been nice (pizzicato, strumming, accented double-stops, and rapid bowing). Over-all, the cello part is quite slow, at least compared to the somewhat more frenzied nature of the accompaniment. The overall harmonic movement is also a bit slow. I'd have expected a slightly faster harmonic movement for something called "frenzy". But that's me.

One thing DID bug me: the Mozart quote at the end didn't make sense. The original piece (Mozart) isn't in the slightest "frenzied" in nature, and none of the rest of the piece seems to borrow in any way or form from the G minor symphony.

However! One very positive thing I did notice, about a quarter of the way through, you appear to be using some new harmonic tricks, which are refreshing.

I really liked this.
    What cello are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by ome248 View Post
    I really liked this.
    What cello are you using?
    The cello is East West.

Thanks for your message.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Larry;
    I see you dusted off your Eastern European Gypsy get-up for this one (!), twists and turns in every conceivable way with the lively action. The cello sounds different to my ear than the ones available in my GPO4. I hear what you are doing with the expression and articulation tools available, but I tell you Larry, I think the Garritan Cellos, just the the 3 Solo Cellos in GPO4, sound warmer and I think it makes a better fit with the Garritan piano. Too bad there isn't a fancier solo cello available from "G". If and when that happens, I'm sure you will be at the front of the line. and you will be able to use these skills with the articulations you've learned on the alternate product.

A very spirited piece, well done and thank you for posting!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Hi Larry;
    I see you dusted off your Eastern European Gypsy get-up for this one (!), twists and turns in every conceivable way with the lively action. The cello sounds different to my ear than the ones available in my GPO4. I hear what you are doing with the expression and articulation tools available, but I tell you Larry, I think the Garritan Cellos, just the the 3 Solo Cellos in GPO4, sound warmer and I think it makes a better fit with the Garritan piano. Too bad there isn't a fancier solo cello available from "G". If and when that happens, I'm sure you will be at the front of the line. and you will be able to use these skills with the articulations you've learned on the alternate product.

A very spirited piece, well done and thank you for posting!

Best regards,
    sd cisco
    Thanks very much for listening and for your comments.

Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

I would simply have to say Larry that the piano is the more "frenzied" as the cello, although very lively, tells us why. One of them has to be more melodic or I would think you'd venture into chaotic. For that balance and restraint (IMO based on what I hear) I commend you.

Enjoyed!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    I would simply have to say Larry that the piano is the more "frenzied" as the cello, although very lively, tells us why. One of them has to be more melodic or I would think you'd venture into chaotic. For that balance and restraint (IMO based on what I hear) I commend you.

Enjoyed!

M
    Yes, the piano is more frenzied than the cello.

I appreciate your compliment, Mister Michael. Thank you.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum