• Register
  • Help

Topic: Extended Classical Choir

Share/Bookmark

Extended Classical Choir

I\'m not sure what to think of this 2 CD set.

Is it just me or do all the voices sound
    way too loud and unemotional?

It\'s hard to explain but I am just hearing this wall or blast of Choir at all octaves.

It\'s very difficult to make the CD sing smooth, soft and Angel like.

Does anyone here have a few GEdit tips to
    smooth out the blend across the keys, etc.?

Thanks.

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.
    www.audiovisionsonline.com

Re: Extended Classical Choir

\"Symphony of Voices\" is a great CD for choirs. I especially love the Boys choirs and London Oos. I was never to impressed with Extended Classical Choir.
    I believe I read on a previous post here that someone else is right now designing a new Giga choir. That should be waaaay cool.

Yellow Tools is working on a new choir library. I can\'t wait either until it gets released.

Ya, I\'d have to agree with you. Extended Classical Choir turned out to be a complete waste of my money. The only thing that CD set turned out to be useful for (besides protection against nasty moisture rings on my furniture...) is REEEEEALLY distant sort of ambient stuff. Stuff that\'s so far away that you really only hear the reverb ringing anyway. Bummer. Waiting for something brilliant to emerge....
    Gav

I have spoken to YellowTools. There will be
    a Choir CD set. Late Fall.

But again, I ask...

Does anyone here have a few GEdit tips to
    smooth out the blend across the keys, etc.?
    (Extended Classical Choir)...or, any additional tips to generate a better realizm?

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.

You know, I\'ve never understood why everyone dislikes ECC so much. I love it. Specifically, I\'ve had great success with using different vowel sounds paired with consonant samples to create simulated sung text. I guess I ought to post a sample and see what y\'all think..

------------------
    Ed Lima
    ELM&M
    info@edlima.com
    www.edlima.com

Ed:

That would be great. I\'d really like to hear what some can make of this CD set.

What burns me here is the fact the you invest $225.00 based on scraps of info and
    a MASTERED demo only to be let down.

It is such a gamble. I did understand from the get go that S.O.V was the CD set to purchase
    but $500.00 is out of budget.

I work in post/corporate audio. It\'s amazing how much money is blown on the video end and then \"Saved\" when it comes time to cut a score. It\'s that, \"Don\'t you guys just have canned music we can use?\" thing.

Anyway, back to ECC. I feel that sound is not very vocal at all. It sounds more of a synth pad (below middle c, big time).

Thanks for letting me vent about the fact that I, to steal from Gav, a $225.00 coaster.

------------------
    Francis Belardino
    Sound Designer
    Audio Visions, LTD.
    Wilmington, DE.

Francis,

I read your last post, and basically I agree with you. The oohs and aahs may not be much by themselves, and your observation that they can be synthlike or padlike is spot on, but the sustained vvvs and zzzs, mmm and rrrs are what make this library indispensable for me.

Here\'s a clip:
    http://www.edlima.com/eccdemo1.mp3

Apologies for the mix; it\'s rough, but it should serve to illustrate what I think is ECC\'s biggest strength. For those few of you who fancy yourselves Latin enthusiasts, the text is:

Terra imperium, terra imperium
    Armipotentis hostilis formidabilis, sanguinis.
    Aedifico, exploro, imperator supera.

which means:
    Empire earth, empire earth
    A potent army, hostile, formadible, bloody.
    I build, I explore, I shall lead and be victorious.

It\'s for a military strategy game named, you guessed it, \"Empire Earth\" due out in November.

------------------
    Ed Lima
    ELM&M
    info@edlima.com www.edlima.com

[This message has been edited by Ed Lima (edited 06-27-2001).]

Nice work! My only suggestion to you would be to scrap the consonants and record a few passes of you singing, (assuming you can sing at all), pan them away from each other a bit, boost 10 - 15K just a tad and possibly cut anything below about 250MHz, slop on some nice hall reverb to spread it more evenly across the stereo spectrum, push it back in the mix (felt and not heard) and enjoy the natural sound of real consonants coming from a real mouth. The \"S\" particularly, sounds really strange to me. to upfront and consisssssssssstant.
    Anyway, there ya have it then...
    Gav

Go Back to forum