• Register
  • Help

Topic: Summer on Oak Street

Share/Bookmark

Summer on Oak Street

"Summer On Oak Street"
    composed by Michael John

The goal (in another forum) was to write a movie theme, under 3 minutes. I first created this simple theme, with simple harmonies, on the Fantom workstation, which was just ok, but then remade it with GPO and Garritan Steinway. Now it sounds much better- but I still have a long way to go to create the very high quality of GPO works I've head in this forum, creating more legato strings, etc. Tips appreciated on how to make this even better,

Mike

My theme, and the idea behind my (imaginary) movie:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=9591267

"..a movie about one eventful summer and the lives, dreams, and drama of three families that live on Oak Street. The story of Lucy, Anthony the neighbor, Susanne the widow, her son John, and daughter, Sheila. It was a summer where their lives intertwined, and through a loss, came a new beginning..."

Re: Summer on Oak Street

Hey Mike!!
    Great stuff with the movie theme and poster! As a theme, it instantly resonated with the little touch of "There's No Place Like Home", just perfect for domestic melodrama! In all, the theme has a nice sort of "John Williams" resolution to it, and the piano added a stronger focused feel. What I am working on and what was my Chinese New Years resolution was to start using Violin 1 Prt 1, Violin 2 Prt 1, you know what I mean. Take the first violin lines to start with and make 3,4 5 or whatever duplicates of it, populate with related Player Parts and then offset the start times for each to make it sound more natural. Then, giving all the Strings this "layered "treatment. It does work as I find even what seem like modest melodies sound richer and fuller when handled this way, I am finding. I think it is because with these GPO voices, it doesn't take too many sounding at once before the overall sound swells in size, to the ear. I was fiddling around with something by Mozart which just had the usual suspects in the String Ensemble family as well as a Flute and a Bassoon. Not much really, as orchestras go but when done with these GPO voices, instantly puts on weight. I am only familiar with Cubase 4.5, is it possible to paint in a bit of sustain pedal for the piano? I just bought the Basic version of the GAS and really like it, but of course, just has the single under the lid perspective. I am trying to figure out how to reverb my way to making it sound like it is at a distance, besides spending another $400!
    And last question, do you know any of the beautiful people in the poster for this "imaginary" movie?

Thanks for posting this, great to hear from you!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Hey Mike!!
    Great stuff with the movie theme and poster! As a theme, it instantly resonated with the little touch of "There's No Place Like Home", just perfect for domestic melodrama! In all, the theme has a nice sort of "John Williams" resolution to it, and the piano added a stronger focused feel. What I am working on and what was my Chinese New Years resolution was to start using Violin 1 Prt 1, Violin 2 Prt 1, you know what I mean. Take the first violin lines to start with and make 3,4 5 or whatever duplicates of it, populate with related Player Parts and then offset the start times for each to make it sound more natural. Then, giving all the Strings this "layered "treatment. It does work as I find even what seem like modest melodies sound richer and fuller when handled this way, I am finding. I think it is because with these GPO voices, it doesn't take too many sounding at once before the overall sound swells in size, to the ear. I was fiddling around with something by Mozart which just had the usual suspects in the String Ensemble family as well as a Flute and a Bassoon. Not much really, as orchestras go but when done with these GPO voices, instantly puts on weight. I am only familiar with Cubase 4.5, is it possible to paint in a bit of sustain pedal for the piano? I just bought the Basic version of the GAS and really like it, but of course, just has the single under the lid perspective. I am trying to figure out how to reverb my way to making it sound like it is at a distance, besides spending another $400!
    And last question, do you know any of the beautiful people in the poster for this "imaginary" movie?

Thanks for posting this, great to hear from you!

Best regards,
    sd cisco
    Thanks for the review and advice- I will try the layering of solo violins. I had thought to try that but it takes up a lot of the midi channels, and I already was up to 12 I think. I listened to your new piece and was astonished at the string richness and fullness, like I've not heard before, truly amazing sound from the strings you achieved! Good ear- there is no sustain on the piano but I will add some. I do not know anyone in my 'movie' ad.
    mike

Obtaining a really convincing takes much time and learning, but it already sounds good. It's a sweet and appropriate theme for such a context, doesn't repeat itself every 4 bars (one of my pet griefs), and could indeed be used to open a movie. The piano works very nicely, and the horn too; oboe is a bit loud to my taste. I guess the entry was for the KVR contest, so it had to be under 3 minutes, but a lower tempo might be appropriate, especially towards the end. Good work. Let us know how you fare.
    Theo

I'm pleased to report that one day after I posted this on soundclick, it had a download sale! Not only was this my second attempt at an all-GPO orchestra piece, but my first GPO piece also had a sale (back in Sep '09). I've made only two GPO large orchestra works, and both had a sale! Thanks Garritan!

I really like the quite part where piano comes in. And I think you got a good sound
    overall. Good job and looking forward to hearing more from you.

When that piano came in at the end I could see the screen darking and the credits rolling up.
    It had that "wow, what a story" affect on me...
    Great work Mike! And a very convincing recording too.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Go Back to forum