• Register
  • Help

Topic: The flickering bar syndrome when posting - video

Share/Bookmark

The flickering bar syndrome when posting - video

Does this happen to anyone else? When I'm writing a reply to a post here at the Forum, my status bar jerks around and the small loading bar on the right goes crazy until I post the message.

Sometimes, I'm stuck and have to back out of the Forum.

I did a video screen capture of what I'm talking about--going to try to post it here:

http://screencast.com/t/YjEyZjMzYTMt

I see - just the URL is pasted in when I click insert video--That's OK, it's a live link.

Randy

Re: The flickering bar syndrome when posting - video

I guess this is not a huge issue but it is odd. The Forum continues to be clunky for me, taking much longer to load than most sites, sometimes never coming up, crashing my browser sometimes- especially like when writing a reply.

The "flickering bar syndrome" doesn't always happen when replying, but usually.

Note - Once you start that short video screen shot I posted, you need to make sure your cursor moves away so the controls of the video player don't obscure the picture. That control bar is exactly on top of what I'm trying to show you. But if you move your cursor away you'll see the glitchy, jerky action and never-fully-loading bar.

Randy

Randy
    I watched the video - strange indeed, I don't have this problem or the clunkiness you describe with the site navigation in general. I use Firefox as my browser - what browser do you use?

Thanks
    sd cisco

Thanks for the reply, Sd - I use Firefox too. But I have to admit I'm not really sure why I stick with it. Each time they upgrade Firefox, which is often, it gets slower and more likely to crash. On an average day I have four crashes of the browser, not the computer, but Firefox freezes up and I have to ctrl-alt-delete it.

Most websites don't cause problems though. This NorthernSounds site is the slowest, most prone to problems.

I dunno what the deal is!

Thanks again.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Sd - I use Firefox too. But I have to admit I'm not really sure why I stick with it. Each time they upgrade Firefox, which is often, it gets slower and more likely to crash. On an average day I have four crashes of the browser, not the computer, but Firefox freezes up and I have to ctrl-alt-delete it.

Most websites don't cause problems though. This NorthernSounds site is the slowest, most prone to problems.

I dunno what the deal is!

Thanks again.
    Randy
    Hello Randy,

I also use Firefox and I don't have the problems you describe. I've just updated to the latest version ( 3.6.8).

I'm using this in windows 7 64 bit.

I also agree about Northern Sounds though I have to say that since I started using the Firefox No-Script plugin things have been considerably better. Also I've got rid of that stupid tool bar with the added bonus of no ads and a few other 'benefits'.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

......................, well, perhaps empty your "Temp" folder?

sd cisco

Hi Randy

I can't see that your problem is particularly related to Firefox ... it would be good to see what happens if you use a different "rbowser", err, sorry ... I mean browser!

I think it is due to the way the toolbar at the bottom of the page works ... its a 3rd party toolbar called "wibiya".

This is just a javascript program loaded directly from wibiya.com into every (?) page of the forum with this line of code:

<script src="http://cdn.wibiya.com/Toolbars/dir_0017/Toolbar_17802/Loader_17802.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

Which causes the file at "http://cdn.wibiya.com/Toolbars/dir_0017/Toolbar_17802/Loader_17802.js" to get downloaded to your PC.

This script also then loads a copy of a "jQuery" file ... a standard library of javascript functions ... if it doesn't find a copy already on your computer ... from here:

http://cdn.wibiya.com/Scripts/jquery-1.4.2.min.js

At least the first of these files will get loaded every time you go to a new forum page, or refresh an existing page, unless your browser cache is enabled, so it may be a slow connection to wibiya.com or a Firewall issue (possibly related to NorthernSounds.com like the problem Alan Perkins had) that causes the slow loading times.

This toolbar has two states - "maximized" (or "Connect ...") and "minimized" (or "Tools"), which you can toggle between with the double up/down arrows on the very right hand side.

When it is loaded it seems to start in the minimized ("Tools") state as you see it in your video and then gets switched to the full state after it thinks that your browser reports that is has fully loaded the document (the "document.ready" jQuery function is triggered).

The flickering is probably happening because the toolbar is getting mixed messages as to whether the browser is in the "loading" page or "document.ready" state, and so it is constantly trying to switch between the two states as you type.

I can't imagine many in the Garritan forum wanting to use the wibiya toolbar, though it may be of interest to Northern Sounds Forum members in general, so I'd recommend disabling it.

As it's just a javascript program you can just disable javascript altogether if you want (Tools > Options > Content in Firefox) though that will stop you using other programs such as Screencast/Jing, so using the NoScript plugin that Michael mentions is a good idea ... this lets you disable individual domains (such as wibiya.com) from running javascript, so gives you complete control over what you want to allow to run or not.

You can install it from here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722/

It seems to disable the wibiya toolbar automatically.

If you still have problems after that, I'd recommend installing the "Web Developer" and "Firebug" plugins too ... they can really help with diagnosing problems.

You shouldn't be having constant crashes with Firefox, though ... sounds like there could be something fundamentally wrong with your setup, though I'm not sure what to suggest, other than making sure that your browers cache is enabled ... you can do this from the "Web Developer" plugin.

Go Back to forum