• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: The Movie Challenge - Let's discuss this!

Share/Bookmark

The Movie Challenge - Let's discuss this!

The Movie Challenge has been a fun event/contest on this Forum. I think we should keep it going on a more regular basis even though the originator of the event seems to no longer be active here.

There are technical issues which I think some people haven't been willing to deal with, and that's prevented them from joining in.

I know that the Movie Challenge is what got me finally motivated to try scoring to video. I still haven't done it very much, but discovered it's a very engrossing thing to do - extremely worth the time for anyone to delve into.

One issue that people have had with the contest isthat they want to compose modern film score-like music, and not feel restricted by the older material we've been using. The "20 Million Miles To Earth" trailer used in the last Challenge turned some people off because it was so specific to a genre from a bygone era - it was 1950's sci-fi, and it called for appropriately old-fashioned music.

People have expressed displeasure with silent movie clips also for similar reasons. They feel their music has to be restricted to what's appropriate to the early 20th Century. That's debatable in the case of silent movies, but I understand that some people just don't care for silent films in general, so the idea of working with one isn't appealing.

The problem with modern movie clips is that the rights to use them aren't available.

Here's my proposal:

--Those of us interested could take random video footage with our digital cameras. The clips could be put together in a way something like a modern movie trailer, with the story line unclear, just glimpsed at, hinted at.

--That footage could be scored to in any style people would care to use. Their music would be unrestricted in every way. They could even possibly help discover a story in the seemingly unrelated collage of clips, depending on their scoring choices.

AND - I think it would be good to have someone in charge of this contest who knows the ins and outs of doing movie scoring in home studios. And I know of one Garritan Forum member who fits that bill - Chip "Reberclark."

SO--Discussion please.

--Want to keep the contest going?

--Want to be unrestricted in the music you compose, by putting together our own video clips?

--Want to learn more about HOW to do this?--Threads here in General Discussion could be specifically about the How Tos of scoring for film.

--Agree that Reberclark would be a great organizer for this?

I look forward to your input!
    Randy B.

Re: The Movie Challenge - Let's discuss this!

Thanks Randy - I am relieved. Bye - Bye!
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Thanks Randy - I am relieved. Bye - Bye!
    Good heavens, Bill. If you're still here, unlike your last post said some weeks ago, then stay and continue on with the Challenge and anything else you want to do. I was just trying to pick up the slack since there's been this lapse of time since the last round ended.

Randy

I do hope there's discussion about the Movie Challenge. If Bill wants to stay around, do the Challenge, that's great with me. It's the neat event itself which I hope we keep alive.

As the winner of the last round, I'm supposed to set the next Challenge. But that isn't possible until we as a group figure out some things about what we want to do.

If you've ever had even the Slightest curiosity about composing music to go with visuals/movies/video - then I hope you join in on the discussion.

Randy

Randy,
    Let's keep this thing going! While the idea of shooting footage and adding it together is an intriguing concept, it might be better to either stay with the current format or go back to the old one. People seem to have trouble with moving video files around, much less shooting them, sending them to a central location, and getting someone to edit it. I personally vote for the old format, in which there's no video, but rather the challenge setter lays out a scenario, and people are free to compose whatever strikes them best in a cinematic style. Everyone can participate and there's more creative freedom, whether you prefer huge sounding Hollywood film music, or more intimate Film Festival style music.

Just some thoughts,
    Tyler

Great--some discussion! Thanks very much, Tyler - I appreciate you getting your reactions up on here. Rather than respond to your specific comments and ideas, I want to wait until more people have had a chance to voice their ideas/opinions.

It would be nice if we keep going with some version of this thing, with Bill running it if he still wants to, or someone else running it - The more important thing to be keeping alive what is basically such a neat concept.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Sonare Coeli View Post
    Randy,
    Let's keep this thing going! ... it might be better to ...go back to the old [no clip] one. People seem to have trouble with moving video files around, much less shooting them, sending them to a central location, and getting someone to edit it. I personally vote for the old format, in which there's no video, but rather the challenge setter lays out a scenario, and people are free to compose whatever strikes them best in a cinematic style. Everyone can participate and there's more creative freedom, whether you prefer huge sounding Hollywood film music, or more intimate Film Festival style music.

Just some thoughts,
    Tyler
    Tyler - great idea! Yes, it might be a good idea to go back to the non-clip format. That way everybody can be in on it.

What if the Movie Challenge could continue without clips and we should start a new Movie Clip Challenge or something? So - one as per the original and one for those who want to work with video? That might work. Just a thought.

I agree -let's keep this going!

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

More discussion! Great - I hope we get more voices in on this. Boosting the thread to hopefully get some attention. Maybe the time has come when this Forum can get over its picture posting binge and does something together as a group that's related to music, the way this kind of event is? It'd be great. -- Maybe?

Randy

Shoot, i have an entire student film to which i own the complete rights if you wanted one or more scenes to write to. Of course there is a student music track, so i'm not sure how we would work around that.

I don't have the time to participate so take my comments with a grain of salt.

I think Randy's point that this was an impetus to get himself going on video, opening up a new creative medium, should not be lost. But it needs a critical mass to be effective.

I like the idea of putting together some simple home recording and scoring for that - it doesn't have to be elaborate, it doesn't even need to involve people.

Some images of carrying a camera through a messy kitchen, capturing a balloon rising up, flowers blowing in the breeze, a playful kitten or puppy etc. Multiple images strung together to provide sequence and timing can be more challenging, so I would initially keep it pretty simple.

My salty 2c worth.

Go Back to forum