• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mirrors: Completed One Year Later!!!

Share/Bookmark

Cool Mirrors: Completed One Year Later!!!

Hello everybody! Hope all is well.

History of this piece on the forum

Here is a piece I started in the spring of '09. I posted it in 3 parts on the forums originally. This was originally inspired by the music of minimalism, especially John Adams and Philip Glass (whether he calls himself minimalist or not!)

After completing each movement, I was about 50% sure I would continue afterwards. However, each time I posted a movement, you guys were encouraging (as always) and asked for me to continue.

Well, this went on for the first 3 movements, and though you asked for more closure, a fourth movement never came. Though I started one quite a while ago, I left it hanging as I felt it didn't fit well with the rest of the piece.

After coming back to the file a couple times over the past year, I finally decided to buckle down and finish it this morning! After about 3 hours-straight of working on it, I extended the fourth movement and decided it fit well, and provided a nice conclusion everyone was wanting.

About the Composition

The first movement starts as a simple ostenato. I then introduce a simple theme a few seconds in with the French Horns. From this point on, each movement introduces a new ostenato or two, and a theme.

The second movement begins at 1:24.
    The third movement begins at 3:27.

The fourth movement, beginning at 6:30, is based on an image/idea. When I thought of the fourth movement, I imagined a space (no walls) filled with mirrors of different sizes, shapes. Some were broken, cracked, warped, or distorted in various ways. All these mirrors reflected the imagery of the music. When looking at one, or a few mirrors, the music appears distorted, or just strange in some way. However, when viewing the vast expanse of all the mirrors, a clear sound begins to emerge.

I really hope you enjoy this final installment of "Mirrors"

Mirrors

Score PDF File

The score is unedited, so you'll see strange things...like Humongous tempo markings...

Thanks for listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Mirrors: Completed One Year Later!!!

Quite interesting. Rather complex for minimal music, but of course John Adams is not the most minimal role model. I hear some modulations in the final part that I didn't notice in the first movements. Nice chords too (e.g. at 8:40). That was three hours well spent.

And of course we were encouraging. You've written something interesting, and good, and I think you can be proud of completing it.
    Theo

........but worth the wait!

I thought this was a real adventure and you have lots of ideas! There was a certain "Ironic" quality to it which I appreciated. I liked the irony, drama and the forward motion of the piece, and after a bit, I recognized why you chose the title that you did.
    Well done.

Thanks for posting your interesting work!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

FLWrd

Thanks for your comment! If no one has said so already, you certainly deserve the title of, "Faithful Listening Room Poster!" Exclamation point included in said title.

As far as adhering to minimalism, I certainly agree. This does not really fall so much into minimalism, as perhaps layers, which in themselves are minimalist, but when stacked, combined, and manipulated become something else.

I'm glad you enjoyed the chord modulations! This is one of my favorite aspects of music (I like them all, of course!). The modulation I use at 8:45 or 8:48ish is probably my most favorite, and certainly the one I've used the most, and for the longest time. It is based on moving from the original chord, (major or minor, in this case, Bb major) to the major chord based on the minor 6th of the root of the original chord. (in this case, Gb Major).

No, I don't normally think of it like this, I just think, "Okay, I know that four half-steps down from this chord will sound like this!"

Again, I appreciate your comment, and thanks for listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    ........but worth the wait!

I thought this was a real adventure and you have lots of ideas! There was a certain "Ironic" quality to it which I appreciated. I liked the irony, drama and the forward motion of the piece, and after a bit, I recognized why you chose the title that you did.
    Well done.

Thanks for posting your interesting work!

Best regards,
    sd cisco
    What I said for FLWrd goes for you, too sd! You're certainly a "Faithful Listening Room Poster!"

I really appreciate your comment. Yes, if you noticed what I think you noticed, the majority of the 4th movement (and especially in the beginning) contains many of the motifs, themes, and prevalent ostenatos written backwards, at varied speeds, doubled down, or combinations of all of them. In fact, just before switching to Bb major at 8:40, I reversed the theme introduced in part 4 that is initially played by the piano just a few seconds into the movement.

Thanks for your comment!

For clarification:

Noticed I forgot to mention a few minor details in my original post. If they seem to be crucial, I'll just add them to the original post.

First, all the instruments are from GPO for Finale '08. This is written entirely with Finale '08, as well. (This is actually the largest single file I've ever used for Finale, I believe.)

And for an extra tidbit of info, the fourth movement, as I said, was partially written last year, and then completed yesterday. From the beginning to 7:55 was written last year. Then, from 7:55 to roughly 8:17 was written a couple months ago. Then from 8:15 to the end was written yesterday (did a little overlapping).
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Good to see this back and completed, Michael!

And quite a lovely suite, at that. As a rule, I'm not a
    great fan of minimalism... but then, while this is often
    sparse and lean (with excellent clarity in the writing,
    I might add) -- I can't say that I'd classify this as
    minimalistic, really. It's got plenty of meat in it, a
    clear and ever present developmental thrust, and
    most certainly no paucity of ideas.

Well done -- I've listened through this three times
    this evening with much pleasure, Michael!

All the best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks David for your comment! I'm thrilled that you listened to it 3 times.

As far as this piece being classified as minimalistic, I'd agree. It is not entirely minimalistic, but it does perhaps have some touches of Adams and Glass throughout. Some of the touches are actually very very simple, and could not be considered signatures of their style at all, but just something that they happen to use from time to time such as stacatto, repeated notes in the bass, which could also be associated with marches....this most certainly is NOT a march, though . Alternately, I know one little quip from this that is very close to Glass' style, is during the 4th movement, I have heavy descending bass notes going through the scale...around...7:59. Though subtle, it's there, and I can't deny that I practically ripped the idea from him, but it just seemed to fit with the moment.

Anyways, to be honest, I'm not sure I could ever bring myself to write something that was entirely minimalistic(apart from my thousands of variations of Cage's 4'33" ), but I certainly have gained a lot from their use of harmonies.

Thanks again for your comment, I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

That was very enjoyable, lots of color and variation. Very impressive!

Go Back to forum