• Register
  • Help

Topic: Transitions

Share/Bookmark

Transitions

It started out as a Chamber Orchestra work then morphed into something entirely different. Couldn't help myself. I just followed where the notes were taking me. Needs some polish and a few more movements but it's heading in the right direction I think.

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/music/Transitions.wma
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Re: Transitions

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    it's heading in the right direction I think.
    Me too.
    Quite an entertaining piece.
    I don't like the spanish-like segments, but it's a matter of taste.
    I'm always asking myself how GPO strings will sound in soft passages, and since it seems you don't have done much processing/post production, I can answer myself: "They sound good!"
    Waiting for "polish" and "next movements" (are you sure you need the latter?)
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Waiting for "polish" and "next movements" (are you sure you need the latter?)
    Well I'm going to at least try and extend some of the movements that are already there, especially the final movement.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Hey there Mitch! You've done a very good job with this composition. (So far???) You've really taken your initial theme and adapted it to work nicely with various textures throughout the piece. I particularly enjoy the section around 5:45 - 6:00 in. It's very lyrical and full of expression!

Thank you very much for posting! Hope to hear more!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

It's good! It starts life as a classical composition, Haydn-like, and really gets transformed. There are some great sounding parts. I enjoyed the rhythmical parts most, including the one that Fabio probably calls Spanish (the one with the different mode). It could get a bit more adventurous (Wagnerian modulations, diminished 9, polytonality, ...) to the end for my taste, but that's a matter of taste. The sound could use some polishing (a few balance issues, some harsh strings, bit (more) reverb), but it's basically good.
    Theo

Clearly well practiced and enjoyed it throughout.
    You must be at a high level of constructive criticism.
    If this needs a little work here and there the mountain ahead
    is bigger then i thought.

gj thanks for sharing

Re: Transitions - Completed!!!!! A 15 minute adventure...

Other than rework the last 2 minutes of this piece (if I really decide I need to) I would say I've reached the end of my journey with this one. Now to see if I can get it submitted to the Minnesota Orchestra Composer Institute/American Composers Forum contest by April 15, 2011. Doesn't hurt to try, right?

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/music/Transitions.mp3

This piece was written entirely with Finale 2010-2011, and Garritan GPO. There are some parts where the bass comes across a bit heavy even though it's scored as PP... The Human Playback feature in Finale is good but could be better.

Go Back to forum