• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Do You Use A Keyboard With No Mod Wheel (i.e. Joystick Style Mod/Pitch)?

Share/Bookmark

Do You Use A Keyboard With No Mod Wheel (i.e. Joystick Style Mod/Pitch)?

If so, how do you work with orchestral samples that have crossfades? I use my mod wheel constantly with all my orchestral samples (Vienna SE) to control crossfades. I'm now looking for a new keyboard, but because of this I'm skipping over any keyboard that has a joystick mod/pitch controller. Which is a shame, because some of them are nice.

I just wanted to check and see if anyone uses the modwheel for crossfades like I do and had figured out a way to work with a joystick-style keyboard?

Thanks!

buzz

Re: Do You Use A Keyboard With No Mod Wheel (i.e. Joystick Style Mod/Pitch)?

Forgive me, but I'm not sure I follow you completely. I think you are saying that you would consider a keyboard that utilizes a joystick if it were practical for controlling crossfades. Is that correct?

Anyway, I work with a stick all the time. Although my NUMA has a wheel, it's on the side (poor design choice). So I use my Novation's stick instead. But I also disengage the vertical (mod) spring action (a lever lets me do this) to have absolute control with my fingers resting comfortably on the ball of the stick. The horizontal tension (for pitch bend), keeps the vertical aligned, so it's essentially no different than using a mod wheel - except that it is physically smaller than some mods I've used, and sometimes I edit the curves depending on what I'm cc'ing.

pax

I uses two keyboards, one is Yamaha-S80, 88-key weighted keyboard with wheel type controllers, and the other is Roland PCR-500, 49-key weighted synth-type keyboard with a joystick type controller.

90% of my writing in both sequencer and notation software is done by PCR-500 with a joystick. As far as the crossfade is conserned, I find myself only using PCR-500's joystick. This is because it is really easier for me to reach.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Thanks for the quick replies.

gpax:
    Yes that's right, open to the idea of using a joystick if I can make it work. When you say 'a lever' enables you to disengage the vertical spring, what do you mean exactly? You had to crack open the case?

Ken-P:
    Does your joystick have a spring for the vertical direction? If so, do you mind having to fight the spring all the time? I would think that would be quite annoying after a while.

Plus, I'm surprised, I would think you'd be unintentionally pitch bending a lot using the joystick. Maybe it's just not enough to be noticeable?

In any case, I really need to figure this out, I just bought a used Triton last night! It's not very piano-like, but it's good for me right now, a very light feel. And it gives me loads of synth/texture sounds that were lacking in my sample libs, albeit maybe a bit dated. But it wasn't too expensive, so I'm happy.

I think I'm going to have to come with some kind of DIY mod wheel though. I'll let you know if I find something interesting.

buzz
    Thanks again!

I have an old Roland A-33 that has the typical Roland-style joystick. I find it impossible to precisely control cross fading with it because of the tiny amount of play in the joystick. So I moved the function to the data slider which works very well for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkio View Post
    I have an old Roland A-33 that has the typical Roland-style joystick. I find it impossible to precisely control cross fading with it because of the tiny amount of play in the joystick. So I moved the function to the data slider which works very well for this purpose.
    Yes that's exactly what I wanted to write, Roland RD 700SX here. I find the stick unusable but love the key action. Fortunately you can assign whatever CC to any of four sliders and that does it for me.

Cheers.

>>Does your joystick have a spring for the vertical direction? If so, do you mind having to fight the
    >>spring all the time? I would think that would be quite annoying after a while.

Yes, it has spring in it.
    It doesn't bother me because I kind of feel more realism from the pressure.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Quote Originally Posted by buzzripper View Post
    If so, how do you work with orchestral samples that have crossfades? I use my mod wheel constantly with all my orchestral samples (Vienna SE) to control crossfades. I'm now looking for a new keyboard, but because of this I'm skipping over any keyboard that has a joystick mod/pitch controller. Which is a shame, because some of them are nice.

I just wanted to check and see if anyone uses the modwheel for crossfades like I do and had figured out a way to work with a joystick-style keyboard?

Thanks!

buzz
    I gave up modwheel years ago when all the best keyboard actions were on consumer keyboards without wheels or joysticks. I suggest using a Volume/Expression pedal. Allows you to keep both hands on the keyboard and gives you a very organic way to control crossfades or volume or any other parameter.

-ACprods

You really should try to use a breath controller instead of the ModWheel: far more expressive, I mean 1000% more.About keyboards anyway I miss the old Roland style (like A80) where you had both ModWheel and Stick.
    hope this help

Quote Originally Posted by ACProds View Post
    ... I suggest using a Volume/Expression pedal....
    I have one, but it just doesn't work for me, I just can't control it nearly as accurately as with a wheel. It's partly because my leg doesn't fit under the keyboard when I get it up on the pedal, my knee jams right up into the keyboard.

Never thought of programming one of the sliders, maybe I'll try that.

Thanks.

Go Back to forum