• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Click and crackling sound on Steinway D

Share/Bookmark

Click and crackling sound on Steinway D

I have a click sound when I play E4. It appears after a second or so if I hold the key down. Also, I have a more crackling (like someone is walking on gravel) sound on C3. Has anyone experienced the same thing? I have a audio recording of these sounds but I don't know how to make it available on the forum.

Best,
    Hakan

Re: Click and crackling sound on Steinway D

It's about TIME that somebody else stepped up and confirmed that sound on E4! YES! When that note is played at, or near, max velocity and the the note is held down, there is a distinct CLACK sound - almost like something fell over during the recording. It is present on three of the five perspectives.

Everyone poo-poo'd me when I reported that almost a year ago. I even had a screen shot of the waveform where the spike from the noise is undeniably visible! No one else could hear it and I was told by others that I must "have a bad copy" because theirs sounded fine.

Thank you for confirming that at least two of us now have bad copies!

I'm having trouble finding the crackle on C3 however. I tried several velocities on the Classic perspective. Could you be more specific as to perspective and velocity and also if it's a soft pedal sample?

Curt

Hi Curt,

Thank you for your response! On C3 it is a more subtle kind of "walking on gravel sound" or like someone is wrapping paper. I used the Player perspective. The E4 sound is VERY distinct and impossible to miss.

Do you know if I could make an audio file available to the forum? It would be so much easier than just describing the sounds.

/Hakan

There is a web host that allows you to share audio files, but I don't recall what it is! Search around in this forum and I'm sure you'll find a link to it in someone's post. You could check the Piano World forum - it's quite busy with lots of helpful people there.

piano world dot com.

I played C3 with many different velocities and can not find any artifacts.

E4 does indeed have the sound of the floor creaking after the note was struck,
    a kind of wood creak, that's all it is and I am sure Jeff Hurchalla will fix it in the next update.

http://www.dankury.com/temp/E4_wood_creak.2.wav

quite a few people here use http://www.box.net if you don't have your own website or webspace.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    I am sure Jeff Hurchalla will fix it in the next update.
    Can you be sure of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Can you be sure of this?
    no,

but he reads this forum and the Steinway is his baby.

Ultimately, this noise is in this one sample and is only noticeable if this note is played all by itself and with a high velocity. It certainly does not prevent anyone from using the library.
    I don't remember this ever coming up, but it must have as you mentioned, so let's trust that it will be fixed. If I know Jeff,... and I do,.... he will fix it.

Dan

I'll try to make some quick sfz changes today that you can informally use if you wish, before an official update. I have a written list, but off the top of my head I believe there's 3 samples that got through with a crack sound (including that E). I'll substitute them out for unaffected samples.
    Just fyi, the original acoustic source of that noise was an occasional pop of the wood backing in a concert hall seat, probably due to changing humidity and/or temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    Just fyi, the original acoustic source of that noise was an occasional pop of the wood backing in a concert hall seat, probably due to changing humidity and/or temperature.
    Interesting!

I could tell it was wood creaking like the floor but not the piano

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast