• Register
  • Help

Topic: I have enough TR-808 samples. Thank You very much...

Share/Bookmark

I have enough TR-808 samples. Thank You very much...

How many more times can sample developers deliver us the same sounds over and over? I was just checking out a new library and noticed it included the TR-808 from Roland. I must have those sounds 20 times over by now with all of the libraires I own. 909? got 'em. Minimoog Bass? Yup. String Synth? yawn...

Developers, please don't bother with these type of sounds any more. Chances are Native Instruments is giving them away with some sort of Kore/Kontakt freebie and we've already got them. Saying "over 10,000 patches" is great if half of them are decent but adding in a string synth patch, and the same string synth patch "with chorus", and then string synth patch "with reverb", shouldn't really count as 3 patches. (especially if the original patch was poorly sampled to begin with)

There are a lot of developers out there that are creating some of the richest sounds we have ever heard (Spectrasonics, NI, EW, Vienna, etc.) Do more of this.

It would be a blessing to not hear those nasty 808 hand claps again...
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: I have enough TR-808 samples. Thank You very much...

I know what you mean.

However... I have a friend that can make an 808 sound like no 808 you've ever heard. There are many ways to program the 808 sounds... so maybe it's not entirely a lost cause.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Quote Originally Posted by Thonex View Post
    I know what you mean.

However... I have a friend that can make an 808 sound like no 808 you've ever heard. There are many ways to program the 808 sounds... so maybe it's not entirely a lost cause.

Cheers,

Andrew K
    Hmmm...Are you hinting at what your next product release is going to be? Perhaps you could include a free 808 download for all registered users of LASS.

Kidding of course...or maybe not.

- Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by MODE View Post
    Hmmm...Are you hinting at what your next product release is going to be? Perhaps you could include a free 808 download for all registered users of LASS.

Kidding of course...or maybe not.

- Gavin
    LOL.... no. We're not doing an 808 library... that's for sure.

I was just saying... I have a friend who can make is sound drastically different. I wish I had an 808 though.

Cheers,

Andrew K

Darn it! I was going to sample the 808 in a European cathedral and call it "Notre dame de Roland TR-808 en Budapest". Now you ruined everything dpasdernick!!!

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum7 View Post
    Darn it! I was going to sample the 808 in a European cathedral and call it "Notre dame de Roland TR-808 en Budapest". Now you ruined everything dpasdernick!!!

Would it be sampled at 16 layers of velocity? 3 mic positions? Would it come with a DX7 electric piano patch so I could reproduce every single sappy Phil Collins ballad from the 80's? (side note* I read recently that he was suffering hearing loss. must have started back then... how else could you explain the song "one more night")

I actually owned an 808 back in the days when we all thought it would replace a drummer. (and I was a drummer, go figure) Traded it in for a Crumar Preformer. Crikey, we didn't have much to choose from back then (hey dad, can I have 7 grand for an Emulator 2? it's 8 bit and has a whopping 512k of ram!)

Sorry... It's Friday and I'm stuck at the office...
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

[QUOTE=dpasdernick;hey dad, can I have 7 grand for an Emulator 2? it's 8 bit and has a whopping 512k of ram!.[/QUOTE]

I remember drooling over the 7k Emulator 2 myself back in the day.........that toilet flushing sample it came with was to die for.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum7 View Post
    I remember drooling over the 7k Emulator 2 myself back in the day.........that toilet flushing sample it came with was to die for.
    The very first sample i ever heard live was played on an Emulator 1 (not 2) at a music store in Vancouver. It was a split keyboard of a girl moaning and a dog barking. No kidding...

Cutting edge technology and someone finds the lowest common denominator right off the bat.

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

Go Back to forum