• Register
  • Help

Topic: Suggestion for ext firewire HD for MBP to run Spectrasonics

Share/Bookmark

Suggestion for ext firewire HD for MBP to run Spectrasonics

Yeah, I know- this is a VI thread- but I need it to run all my Spectrasonics stuff (and NI).
    I was looking at the LaCie Rugged drive as it was 7200rpm but are there any other suggestions for a fast firewire drive that will work great with a 2009 MacBookPro and more importantly, run great with Spectrasonics? I need it to be completely bus-powered (and small). I have a hard time even doing this but can't install all my instruments (and assume I will also get better performance running it all on the external versus my internal mac drive).
    thx

Re: Suggestion for ext firewire HD for MBP to run Spectrasonics

I've got an MPB 2008 and I use an Iomega eGo with Omnisphere and my sample library on it. I've used this extensively for the last couple of years and its always worked flawlessly. I've even used it for live performances without any fear of problems. I often have four instances of Omnisphere running along with several ESX all reading samples off the Iomega.

Its only 5400rpm and firewire 400, its buss powered, but I've never had any problems even with large Omni multis. My MPB is a core two duo 2.4, g Gig ram - Running Omni the cpu maxes out before the external disk does, in fact the disk has never maxed out. Of course if you MBP is faster this may not be the case.

The eGo I have is a slightly older metal one, which is still available on ebay new. The newer ones now in the retail shops are slightly larger and plastic, they have FW 800, where as the older one's only 400.

Hope this helps.

Thanks- that actually makes me reconsider only doing 7200rpm. If I can save some cash and get a larger 5400rpm (and have more design options as I really don't care for the orange LaCie case).....

Well, I ended up getting the Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Pro (mouthfull) 500GB drive (7200RPM). Also got the dongle to make it FW800. Thusfar, its turning out to be a fast drive (compared to my internal MBP SATA drive). I did a quick Xbench on the drives and it is 2-3x's faster in various sequential/random read/writes cached/uncached (blah blah). All I know is that it is faster than my internal drive and that is good.
    Moving the Steam and Sage folders was painless and everything was running great (still takes awhile to load the 2.3GB acoustic bass patch).

But alas, my old Windows habit kicked in- I like re-formatting when I add a critical part to my system- so I am with my library files on the drive I have started to reinstall Snow Leopard- and then will do fresh installs on my NI Komplete and Logic (with all content going to the external drive). Hopefully this will be be glitch free- wish me luck!

Go Back to forum