• Register
  • Help

Topic: Concert March - The Esquire (CoMB + GPO SAM Brass)

Share/Bookmark

Concert March - The Esquire (CoMB + GPO SAM Brass)

Just finished my latest commission, a concert march in British style. The first strain theme is based on the English folk song "Over The Hills And Far Away"; the rest is original.

The realization is straight from Finale 2011 using CoMB for woodwinds and GPO SAM Brass (with a bit of compression added). I'm very happy with the sound - it's realistic enough but also highly transparent, so I can pick out every voice and hear problems easily. The only inconvenience is that the damped bass drum from "Bass Drum KS" is not available in GPO "Basic Orch Perc" so I had to use separate channels for bass and snare drums. The full decay bass drum is useless for marches as it thunders on several seconds. Hope you enjoy it.

The Esquire (MP3)

Re: Concert March - The Esquire (CoMB + GPO SAM Brass)

Very British indeed! ... I hear traces of Percy Grainger in there to start off with and Holst in the slow section ... though perhaps there are hints of Sousa also in the grand finish.

It is very good realization straight out of a notation program

Dan Kury talks here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...l=1#post649839

... about using compression to dampen such as a drum sound, if that helps.

I think you've posted this in the non-Garritan Libraries Listening Room (easily done!) ... you'll probably get more responses in the Garritan one.

Re: Concert March - The Esquire (CoMB + GPO SAM Brass)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jeffrey Gale View Post
    I think you've posted this in the non-Garritan Libraries Listening Room (easily done!) ... you'll probably get more responses in the Garritan one.
    Oops, you're quite right! Thanks and thanks again for the feedback and info!

Go Back to forum