• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Searching For Keyboard or Controller

Share/Bookmark

Searching For Keyboard or Controller

Hi,

I'd prefer to find a keyboard and not just a controller, but with my $1,000 USD spending limit I think I might be forced to go with just a controller to get a good weighted-action keyboard feel, which is by far the most important criteria. Anyone have any suggestions?

I tend to like a lighter feel keyboard but not mushy, which seems to be hard to find. The Rolands tend to be like this for me. And the Korgs are better but all seem to have a joystick, which I don't like, I need a mod wheel (for crossfading). And the Yamahas are a tad on the stiff side. That said, I still may go with a Yamaha MM8, but I"m not in love with the feel (or the sounds). I'm not that great of a player but I guess I'm pretty picky when it comes to the keyboard feel (at least when I'm about to spend $1K!!).

I'd like to try a CME or Studiologic but noone in my area carries these. Anyone have a suggestion for those that don't live in large metropolitan areas like me - how do you get your hands on these keyboards to try 'em out? The feel of a keyboard is such a personal thing, I really have to try it to know if I like it. Do you just make sure the retailer has a good return policy?

Anyone have any experience with the CME VX-80? It's interesting because it has moving faders on it. If it's got a nice feel to it that might be worth the $1,000 price.

Thanks!

buzz

Re: Searching For Keyboard or Controller

You could probably find a used CP-33 for less than $1,000. Yes, the Yamaha keyboards are stiffer, but nowhere near as stiff as an actual piano.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzripper View Post

I'd like to try a CME or Studiologic but noone in my area carries these.

Anyone have any experience with the CME VX-80? It's interesting because it has moving faders on it. If it's got a nice feel to it that might be worth the $1,000 price.

Thanks!

buzz
    I don't have experience of the VX-80, but I have its forerunner, the UF80. The action on it is not good at all. The keys are very, very stiff, but then there is a point, when enough resistance is applied, where they suddenly give way, and thump down, giving a velocity of 127. It's almost impossible to play rapidly and quietly.

Also CME are fast becoming renowned for their very poor approach to customers. They don't seem to resolve issues at all - instead they simply move on to another generation of products, and cease to support the incredibly buggy stuff they leave in their wake. The UF80 never did get a stable USB driver. Thousands of users reported that their machines couldn't see it, or lost contact with it, but the CME apologist on the user forum simply told them that the issues were with their machines, not CME's driver. Then the VX series came out, and CME acted as though they no longer had any responsibility to sort out the UF series. And now we have Windows 7 the UF series have no driver at all. So there are thousands of users who spent a lot of money, only a couple of years ago, who can no longer use most of the features of the keyboard, and can only use its MIDI output. The VX series will undoubtedly suffer a similar fate when Windows moves on again.

I'm sure there are many users with a totally different experience, but I've learnt my lesson with CME.
    David

I would avoid CME like the plague! I would also avoid M-Audio if keyboard action is important to you. Studiologic (Fatar) has great keyboard action for the money IMO.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Guess I'll stay away from CME, and M-Audio is what I have now and trying to dump. I'll see if I can find a Studiologic in my area...

I use a Yamaha So8. I love it.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

The best bargain in a 88 key controller is the Yamaha KX8 at $299. The keyboard itself is not bad. The tradeoff is there is no expression pedal input, no aftertouch, and it's fairly large. It has a decent implementation of midi controls.

I almost bought a KX8 when they came out, but after testing it at Guitar Center I felt that the keyboard action felt.....cheap.........which was disappointing and not what I was expecting from a Yamaha product.

If you can afford it, the Studiologic Numa Nano would be a great controller IMO.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

I have a CME VX7 and honestly it does everything, I like the feel of it, but it is in deep need of a new firmware update which it this point might never come, so unfortunately I will stay away from it.

Sean,

I have the same Studiologic that you have. Do you have issues with the velocity response? Mine will not hit over 120 on most of the keys. Also, it is almost impossible to play soft as the lowest velocity is about 30. I've already received a replacement from Studiologic as the first one I had wouldn't going above 117 or below 50! This one is a little better.

I sent another email to Studiologic with the MIDI-OX output as they requested but never received a return response. It would be nice to have a keyboard that responds to all the velocities like my Roland XP-30 does. I have to use the XP-30 for recording percussion so I can get all the way up to 127.

Jim

Go Back to forum