• Register
  • Help

Topic: Odd Aria/Sonar glitch--ideas?

Share/Bookmark

Odd Aria/Sonar glitch--ideas?

I vaguely recall someone talking about this a long time ago. But this is the first time it's happened to me, and it's quite a bother.

I'm building a large project in Sonar. Besides other things, it has an instance of Aria and also an instance of Kontakt Player 2. I still need Kontakt for using the Garritan Strad and Gofriller.

After I re-opened the project today, one of the Aria instruments, Basic Orchestra Percussion, is triggered no matter what track I'm on! I mean that I can click any of the Kontakt tracks and when I play my keyboard, mixed in with the right Kontakt instrument, I'm also getting the GPO percussion. The tympani even sounds out when I click an audio track and hit a key on my MIDI keyboard.

I've re-booted, opened and closed the track a million times - it doesn't change, it's just stuck like that. I haven't deleted the Aria instance and started over again with it - I need to do that next.

BUT I thought maybe somebody here has had this happen, and if so, there might be some elucidation on this aggravating glitch?

Randy B.

Re: Odd Aria/Sonar glitch--ideas?

Update - I deleted Aria. I inserted a new instance, and set up all my instruments, directed all my tracks - SAME PROBLEM. For the first time, it's literally impossible to have both Kontakt and Aria together in a project. I'll need to turn off Aria, work with just the instruments in Kontakt, bounce them down, turn that synth off, and then work with Aria - totally separately - You see the problem?

Unless there's some known fix. ---grrrrrrrrrrrr. Now THere's some tension on the Forum for ya!

Randy

Randy - I've never had the problem. I'm afraid I'm no help right now because I'm into the scoring/printing phase of a project under the gun.

I have run ARIA and KONTAKT PLAYER 4.1 together no problem. Possibly update your Kontakt Player to 4.1? I did and it was very smooth with no glitches at all.

Best of luck.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I vaguely recall someone talking about this a long time ago. But this is the first time it's happened to me, and it's quite a bother.

I'm building a large project in Sonar. Besides other things, it has an instance of Aria and also an instance of Kontakt Player 2. I still need Kontakt for using the Garritan Strad and Gofriller.

After I re-opened the project today, one of the Aria instruments, Basic Orchestra Percussion, is triggered no matter what track I'm on! I mean that I can click any of the Kontakt tracks and when I play my keyboard, mixed in with the right Kontakt instrument, I'm also getting the GPO percussion. The tympani even sounds out when I click an audio track and hit a key on my MIDI keyboard.

I've re-booted, opened and closed the track a million times - it doesn't change, it's just stuck like that. I haven't deleted the Aria instance and started over again with it - I need to do that next.

BUT I thought maybe somebody here has had this happen, and if so, there might be some elucidation on this aggravating glitch?

Randy B.
    Hello Randy,

Sorry to hear of your frustration there. I can confirm that KP2 and Aria don't work too well together. I discovered this some time ago when I wanted to use the previous JABB KP2 with the new GPO Aria. I believe I mentioned it at the time and it might have been this you recall reading.

The solution was to use the new Kontakt 4. I expect you know that although Kontakt 4 is the full Kontakt, the trial version now acts as the Kontakt Player. Native Instruments has discontinued separate player and full version and combined them into one.

I have been using the Kontakt 4 as a player alongside Aria and they work well together.

Hope this helps.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hi Randy,

I'm just swatting in the dark at what could be wrong. These are the most obvious things that come to mind (which you likely already checked). All this is general, as I still don't have much of experience with ARIA in Sonar.

• input monitoring might be permanently on for the Kontakt player channel, such that any shared midi channels between ARIA and Kontakt are voiced with both players when ARIA

• tracks might be linked for playback/record

• MIDI controller might be sending to multiple channels simultaneously (possibly the case if ARIA and Kontakt are not sharing channels, but you still here the noise)

• Kontakt might be triggered as a sidechain process--ie triggered by events in ARIA. I don't know the details of sidechain triggering in Sonar, but in ProTools it's a very deliberate process and it would be hard to make this happen "accidentally".

But this is mostly obvious stuff... and it sounds like your problem is trickier and more mysterious and cunning.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." – Henry Thoreau

Thank you very much for the helpful replies, Chip, Michael and Tim.

I think it could be an old post from you, Michael, that I'm thinking of.

Being a creature of habit like everyone, I keep using KP2 even though I have the newer versions. I experimented with KP3, then KP4, and saw that they worked fine, but I didn't want to give up the familiar GUI of KP2 which I'm so comfortable with, looking so nice with all of the Garritan libraries lined up there on the left. As a result, I've never used any of the newer versions in a project!

And I've done quite a bit with both Aria and Kontakt together. No problems until yesterday. And the odd thing is that it just happened suddenly. Everything was fine as I put the project to bed, then next time I woke it up again - there was this problem.

Good advice - I'll try KP4, that could very well fix me up. --Before seeing your replies I thought perhaps I could just try moving the percussion to a different slot and different MIDI channel, and out of curiosity, I might try that first, because it's only that one channel being triggered.

Thanks for helping out. I'm sure I'll resolve things, and hopefully today. When I do, I'll post the results in case the resolution is helpful to future readers of this thread.

Randy

A Follow Up:

--I have no helpful info really, but I've settled on a work around.

This problem has to be with Sonar, and not either Aria or Kontakt.

So you guys can be as mystified as me, here's what happened this morning - it makes NO sense.

--I decided to try the orchestra percussion in a different Aria slot. That made no difference. The tymani and the rest were triggered no matter what track I chose, exactly like before.

I tried putting the percussion on a different MIDI channel, not just a different Aria slot. No change.

Then - here's where it gets kind of Scary. I deleted the instrument again and opened up the orchestra percussion in Kontakt which I already have opened and in use in the project.

SAME THING!--- The sample pools for Kontakt and those for Aria are completely different, as we all know. But when I had the percussion open in Kontakt, the percussion was still being triggered no matter what track I tried to record on--AND it continued to be triggered even when I had the focus on an Audio track---and of course no MIDI instrument should be triggered when you're on an audio track.---

The GPO orchestra percussion patch is behaving as if it's haunted! Both versions of it!

I don't want to hassle with it anymore, so haven't set up an instance of the newer Kontakts - maybe that would be different, but the hour of fussing I've already spent this morning is all I have time for.

My work around for now is to not have the percussion anywhere in the project. I'll just work on that track after I've finished the rest. Easier to do that with percussion than another instrument since percussion is mostly "icing on the cake."

Truly odd.

Randy

Is it specific to that project? Sometimes large projects can develop trouble. What happens if you start a new one? Does the order of Aria/KP2 instantiation matter?

Also try a repair install of Sonar?

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Is it specific to that project? Sometimes large projects can develop trouble. What happens if you start a new one? Does the order of Aria/KP2 instantiation matter?

Also try a repair install of Sonar?
    Thanks for the reply, Reegs.

It is specific to this project, so apparently it's one of those cases of "corrupted projects files" which I've heard about but have never seen before.

It's a large project in the length, not really in the number of tracks - under 30 individual instruments so far. But it's a video project with a low rez Windows Media File video in it, total of approx 67 minutes. I have a piano track sketching in my score, now I'm dividing the film up into segments my system can handle -10 minutes at a time.

The first segment came out fine. Then, using the first project as a template, which is the way I usually come up with a starting point, I erased data from the first segment and began work on the second segment. That way my emixer remains as I had it for the first segment, all instances of plug-ins and synths are already in the file. All tracks are already laid out as needed etc.

I gave some detail in case you think anything there is a suspect cause of this problem.

I had to try several different work arounds yesterday. The only one making things work is to just completely leave out the Aria instance while I work on the Kontakt tracks. And when it comes time to work with the next group of instruments, I very well may just open up another Kontakt instance instead of Aria, since none of the Garritan instruments in this project are from the newer versions of the libraries (no Sam Brass, banjo etc).

It's the first time I've had problems using KP and Aria in the same project.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum