• Register
  • Help

Topic: Panning In Aria

Share/Bookmark

Panning In Aria

I'm using an instance of aria with 10 drum instruments loaded and am able to mix these just as I want with the exception of panning.

I am using this in Sonar with Sonar's control disabled so that I should be able to use Aria to mix and pan my drum kit.

I have disabled the stereo stage setting in Aria and all the instrumetns are set at centre but, for example, the ride cymbal is sounds hard right. When I try to move the control to the left, instead of panning to the left, the sound reduces in volume until it cuts out altogether.

I'm sure I remember reading something about this in the forums but I can't find any reference to this.

If anyone can make any suggestions on how to correct this I'd be really grateful.

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Panning In Aria

Hi, Michael

"...or example, the ride cymbal is sounds hard right. When I try to move the control to the left, instead of panning to the left, the sound reduces in volume until it cuts out altogether..."

That's because you're trying to pan a stereo channel. When something is already panned in the stereo field, that's where it is, and when you try to pan it in the opposite direction, the volume does exactly as you describe--it keeps dropping in volume until it's totally gone. That's because you're moving to the part of the stereo track where there's no information - that cymbal is hard-wired to be at the right with virtually no signal in the left channel. It's probably not actually "hard right" though - A ride cymbal is off to the side in a drum kit, and so it's been programmed at its actual real-world position.

One thing that could be done in Kontakt was to make use of the L and R channels of each stereo pair as Mono tracks. But that can't be done the same way in Aria.

Try bypassing the Aria mixer and just getting signals into Sonar, and use mono tracks in Sonar- Or record the tracks then click the icon which forces a stereo track to play back as mono.

Randy

Re: Panning In Aria

Thanks for your reply Randy. That explains everything.

Your help is much appreciated as always.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum