• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do I control the drum kits with Sibelius?

Share/Bookmark

How do I control the drum kits with Sibelius?

I'm having trouble accessing the different drum sounds in the Jazz kits via notation in Sibelius. If I understand it right a particular sound is controlled with a specific note.
    However, I seem to be able to get only a very few of the sounds to play at the moment.
    For example, an e-f on the drum set stave will only play a bass drum. What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks
    Rupert

Re: How do I control the drum kits with Sibelius?

Hi Rupert

I'd suggest going into your mixer and opening up the VST (Aria or Kontakt) for JABB and select your drum kit.

You should see a playable keyboard with coloured keys for any keyswitches and playable notes (or separate percussion instruments in your case).

See if these work first ...

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply. I have done that using Aria and indeed the keyboard plays the different drum voices of the kits. Do you know how I can get the drum notation in the Sibelius score to recognise, select and control them all?

Thanks
    Rupert

Rupert

I think your next step is to record a few bars of drum music in Sibelius from the keyboard - just run through all the playable instruments chromatically.

Assuming you get a set of notes recorded in Sibelius (importantly, these will include all the correct note heads, and won't be arranged "chromatically" on the stave) ... see if it plays back correctly also.

If it does, you can annotate and keep a copy of something like this "trigger sheet" as a separate file from which you can use to copy notes from as required, rather than trying to fumble around to get the right note/notehead combinations.

Hope that works!

Peter

Go Back to forum