• Register
  • Help

Topic: Alternatives to Korg controllers?

Share/Bookmark

Alternatives to Korg controllers?

I have $200-$300 to spend on a controller and I know about the Korg line . I am looking for suggestions for something that may have a few more features since I have a budget for something slightly higher end.
    My primary use would be for Spectrasonics products.
    Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core 12Gig DDR3 1HD - 500GB for system 3HD - 1TB Seagate Sata II for audio and samples RME Multiface II Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Cubase 5 64 bit Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, EWQLSO Gold with Close Mics, QL Choirs, Gypsy, SD1, SD2 Pro, QL Pianos Gold, QL RA, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock, Reaktor, Memphis Horns, Ethno World II, Garritan Strings

Re: Alternatives to Korg controllers?

Hi slinky,

I really don't have a suggestion as this would be a personal choice of which controller YOU like or fits your work flow. There seems to be several nice controls out there right now.

I would think that any midi control that will output both CC#'s and Note#'s would work great! (One caveat would be getting a control that will not output Note#'s below C2 so check the specs to insure it can do Note#'s in the C0-C1 range.)

I do use the Korg NanoControl with Omni but I also use my midi keyboards (Kurzweil 2661 and Korg Oasys) to control omni by using the CC# or Note# learn function within Omni.

Hopefully someone who is using a dedicated control surface with Omni can give you some specific brand and model names/numbers.

Kind regards,
    Rick

Thanks Rick.
    Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core 12Gig DDR3 1HD - 500GB for system 3HD - 1TB Seagate Sata II for audio and samples RME Multiface II Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Cubase 5 64 bit Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, EWQLSO Gold with Close Mics, QL Choirs, Gypsy, SD1, SD2 Pro, QL Pianos Gold, QL RA, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock, Reaktor, Memphis Horns, Ethno World II, Garritan Strings

Take a look at the MPK61. The keys are good and it's solid. The Axiom is good for Logic but not so much for Omni the last I heard. The functionality is great. I couldn't get past the keys on the Axiom. Lots of people use Novation. I personally would not go that route even though the keys are good. I like to keep things very simple. I have a friend who got all 3 of those and ended up with the MPK. He is very happy with it. This is not really an easy thing to decide and it does depend on what you want personally so you still have to research the functionality of them to decide what works for you.

The MPK61 is a keyboard/controller. I don't need the keys and just want the controls. I was looking at the Novation Zero SL Mk II and it looks great. Does anyone know if it will play nice with Spectrasonics instruments?
    Are there any controllers to stay away from regarding Spectrasonics?

Go Back to forum