• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: A free Recorder for my Garritan friends - an instrument for Aria! ;)

Share/Bookmark

Wink A free Recorder for my Garritan friends - an instrument for Aria! ;)

Randy, following your generous Kalimba sharing with us, i tryed to make something that works with ARIA. I really liked the Kalimba
    Well, this one is not so nice sampled like the Kalimba, but for the ones wanting to know how sfz works can be interesting. There are some notes out-of-tune, that i will try to fix if anyone like how it works.
    Basicly, it has two layers for the Sustained sound, and 4 keyswitches:
    C2- Sustained - non looped
    D2- Vibrato (kind of)
    E2- staccato (kind of)
    F2- and an articulation that i called "tro", im not sure how it`s called.

The keyswithches are from C2 to F2 (im not sure how to use the option for LABEL the Keyswitches "sw_label" yet).

The natural range is from C4 to A5, but i extended it from C3, but it will not sound so nice there.

You can use the ModWheel to controll the volume in a range of 12db.

You need to unzip the folder anywhere keeping the folder structure, and then import the sfz file with the name "ARIA". (the other sfz file works with the free sfz vsti)

Here is a little mp3 i made so you can hear how it sounds played from a midi file:

greensleeves mp3 recorder sfz.
    (it uses the 4 keyswitches)

And here you can download it:
    Plastic Yamaha Recorder for ARIA Download

Feel free to modify and use it like you want and suggest anything you think can be done. If anyone knows about the "sw_label" opcode, i would like to know. I will ask in the plogue forum.

Thanks

P.S:

Chad has helped with the keyswitche labeling. Now you can view the name of the keyswitch you are using. Thanks Chad!
    You only need to download this file and put in the same folder where are the original sfz files of the recorder. Thats one of the wonderfull reasons because you could love SFZ: you can modify how things works and there isnt need to upload all the wav files. Just sharing a little text file is enough.

Recorder with keyswitchs labes, edited by Chad
    Marcelo Colina

Re: A free Recorder for my Garritan friends - an instrument for Aria! ;)

Marcelo! Thanks for this! I had a lot of fun playing around with your recorder! It works great. I will play with the keyswitches tomorrow. Fine job and a fun instrument!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

This is amazing! If this is what a user made recorder sounds like, I can't wait to hear the "real deal" in the upcoming world library.

This makes me very much wish I had some recording equipment, as I have quite a few recorders (soprano, alto and tenor) that I wish I was able to make samples of.

Very nice job, and a huge thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    Marcelo! Thanks for this! I had a lot of fun playing around with your recorder! It works great. I will play with the keyswitches tomorrow. Fine job and a fun instrument!
    Thanks! Glad you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    This is amazing! If this is what a user made recorder sounds like, I can't wait to hear the "real deal" in the upcoming world library.

This makes me very much wish I had some recording equipment, as I have quite a few recorders (soprano, alto and tenor) that I wish I was able to make samples of.

Very nice job, and a huge thank you.
    Yes, this is a very amateur&quick recording. In a real studio, without the ambient noise and carefully tuning (and a real flutist) , results would be much better. Also, with the professional programming of the library.

I have a Tenor recorder. Will try to record it in the same way that the soprano, so the C3 octave will sound much better.

BTW, to say the truth, when i need some recorders in a song, i prefer to play them. They are not so hard to play, and the realism is much better than using samples. But sometimes, samples are a quick way to have an idea if you dont have the time or the silent room to set a recording.
    Marcelo Colina

Trust me, if I actually had recording equipment, I would play my own recorder parts as well. lol

MARCE! - This is so great that you did this. You're far too modest about the results - this Recorder is very usable the way you have it. I get nervous when a Recorder is Too perfectly in tune.

AND of course I noticed how your subject line is borrowed from mine. hehe--Nice - I hope to see more people contributing free Aria instruments for the community here!

I tried something which is working pretty well. I prefer my solo woodwinds to play monophonically because it's easier to develop lines for them without worrying about over-lapping notes making the results unrealistic.

So I simply added " polyphony=1" as one more item at the end of the list under <group>.

That does what I wanted, limiting playback to mono, but an error message comes up when I load this edited version in Aria. Too complicated to type here - but it's an odd message saying there's a discrepancy detected. I just close that pop-up, and the instrument still plays fine.

But that must mean there's a more correct way to change this instrument to mono. A Google search and looking through the opcode charts didn't give me an answer. Do you know?

Thanks again! EVERYBODY Here should be getting this!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    MARCE! - This is so great that you did this. You're far too modest about the results - this Recorder is very usable the way you have it. I get nervous when a Recorder is Too perfectly in tune.

AND of course I noticed how your subject line is borrowed from mine. hehe--Nice - I hope to see more people contributing free Aria instruments for the community here!
    Thanks Randy. I really hope that too.

I tried something which is working pretty well. I prefer my solo woodwinds to play monophonically because it's easier to develop lines for them without worrying about over-lapping notes making the results unrealistic.

So I simply added " polyphony=1" as one more item at the end of the list under <group>.

That does what I wanted, limiting playback to mono, but an error message comes up when I load this edited version in Aria. Too complicated to type here - but it's an odd message saying there's a discrepancy detected. I just close that pop-up, and the instrument still plays fine.

But that must mean there's a more correct way to change this instrument to mono. A Google search and looking through the opcode charts didn't give me an answer. Do you know?

Thanks again! EVERYBODY Here should be getting this!

Randy
    The monophonic option is very good idea! I tryed what you suggested but, instead of adding it under <group> i added it under <global>:

Code:
    <global>
    sw_default=36
    gain_cc1=12
    volume=-12
    polyphony=1
    Puting it there, it works ok without any Warning.

Some thing i would like to know, that are not well documented/tutorialized:
    Would be really cool to know how to add controls on the ARIA gui, so user made instruments can be controlled in similar way GPO can.
    I know that analyzing the GPO sfz files i can learn a lot, but since they are a little complex, i would like to have some basic models with the new opcodes, to learn a little.
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    Thanks Randy. I really hope that too.

The monophonic option is very good idea! I tryed what you suggested but, instead of adding it under <group> i added it under <global>:

Code:
    <global>
    sw_default=36
    gain_cc1=12
    volume=-12
    polyphony=1
    Puting it there, it works ok without any Warning.

Some thing i would like to know, that are not well documented/tutorialized:
    Would be really cool to know how to add controls on the ARIA gui, so user made instruments can be controlled in similar way GPO can.

Hi guys!

Thanks again for sharing, this is very exciting. I'll have to dig around my house for a new instrument to sample.

Randy - The error message that you saw was probably due to a conflict of poly settings within the same group number. As Marce added it to the global section it made that poly setting consistent for all iterations of that group within the sfz file. ARIA won't like it if you specify different poly settings for the same <group>.

I know that analyzing the GPO sfz files i can learn a lot, but since they are a little complex, i would like to have some basic models with the new opcodes, to learn a little.
    If you guys have any specific questions or want to implement a certain feature into your custom sfz files I may be able to help. Just let me know what you are trying to do.

Cheers,

- Chad

Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    If anyone knows about the "sw_label" opcode, i would like to know. I will ask in the plogue forum.

Thanks
    The sw_label is used to assign a display name for your created keyswitches. For example:

Code:
    sw_label=Vibrato
    This would display "Vibrato" in the lower left hand corner of ARIA GUI right above the KEYSWITCHES label.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    The sw_label is used to assign a display name for your created keyswitches. For example:

Code:
    sw_label=Vibrato
    This would display "Vibrato" in the lower left hand corner of ARIA GUI right above the KEYSWITCHES label.

Hi Chad. Thanks very much your help!

In the SFZ file above im currently using the opcode you has pointed, but appear im using it in a wrong way, since the keyswitch name isnt displayed.

I put the "sw_label" opcode here:

Code:
    <global>
    sw_default=36
    gain_cc1=12
    volume=-12
    polyphony=1

<group>
    lovel=100
    sw_lokey=c2
    sw_hikey=f2
    sw_last=c2
    sw_label=Sus Long
    But, the keyswitch is not displayed, only the key number. Look the screenshot:

Any idea what im doing wrong?

Thanks!

Another question: Do you know how i can connect to ARIA volume slider to the sfz file so it controlls really the volume?
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum