• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - Finale 2011

Share/Bookmark

OT - Finale 2011

Who's upgraded and how is the upgrade (compared to 2010)?

I tend to upgrade most years, but not all. Is this year's upgrade worth it or should I skip a year?

Thanks

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: OT - Finale 2011

I upgrade every year.
    there is always SOME small thing that makes an upgrade worth it.

I also like to encourage what is - unbeknownst to most people - a small company. MakeMusic may make one of the two most-used music notation programs on the planet, but it is still quite a small company, and as such it needs its clientele. I think of it as an investment in my own future.

So far, I like what I see, but I haven't used it extensively yet.

p.s. in your signature, it should read: "music and humor ARE healthy for the soul", not "is".

I really like the Re-arrange staves feature. IT makes sense to me. I also like the additional Garritan Sounds even though I do have GPO4.

I switch back and forth from Sibelius 6.2 and Finale 2011 and I find Finale JUST as fast to navigate though for the most part. I do like Sibelius' virtual keyboard but I must be one of the few people who doesn't care for its number pad reliance. The Speedy Entry method is fast as can be and applying basic articulations through quickkeys is terrificly efficient.

The playback for Finale has always impressed me more than Sibelius. Not sure why things sound better through it but they do. I also like how I can create custom Human Playback configurations for my libraries (I enjoy using Halion Symphony Orchestra) and it's not too laborious of a task.

Garritan libraries sound fantastic through Finale 2011. It's a terrific program and one that I know film composer Christopher Gordon uses for all of his current scores (Mao's Last Dancer and Daybreakers in particular). I find that Finale is much more user friendly to Mac laptop users in particular who lack a number pad.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. With the exception of a couple of years, I've been updating Finale yearly since around 1997. It's a great program and has met my modest needs for many years.

p.s. in your signature, it should read: "music and humor ARE healthy for the soul", not "is".
    LOL! Where were you when I was writing my lengthy papers in APA format for nursing classes! LOL!
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    LOL! Where were you when I was writing my lengthy papers in APA format for nursing classes! LOL!
    well, I is glad I could help

I like to upgrade less than every year. I went from 07 to 09, but now I remember it was because I didn't have the money. Well either way it could be almost time for another upgrade.

I didn't like the smirking sax player you had to look at every time you open finale 09, thought a picture of the painting called "Scream" would be more fitting there. Okay joking about the scream, but I tried to replace the pic with a pic of a grand piano player or a pic of a full orchestra, but unlike all other programs on my mac, it is hidden and doesn't show up in a pic search. It's lime they thought someone might want to change it and for some crazy reason didn't want to allow it.

So I was just a little curious, what's the pic that you see everytime you open 2011, is it an emo girl playing a didgeridoo or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    Who's upgraded and how is the upgrade (compared to 2010)?

I tend to upgrade most years, but not all. Is this year's upgrade worth it or should I skip a year?

Thanks

Ted
    Hello Ted,

As usual I upgraded. As to whether or not the new features, fixes and improvements are worth upgrading to is very much an individual opinion.

I too like the new Rearrange Staves feature. Also, I think there is improved VST handling and they have added a facility to manage the VST folder directly from within Finale. This did give me a bit of a shock though when I automatically went to Finale's directory to play with the VST folder to find it wasn't there.

All is well .... they've moved it from the general Finale directory to hidden files and folders. The new lyrics feature seems very good although I'm still getting used to this. Also, I have found that the program is more stable on my computer.

As to whether or not the new features, fixes, fern and fauna are actually worth the upgrade price plus the Fed Ex shipping and the additional taxes and their so called "handling charge" (read rip-off)? Again, very much a personal thing but for me .. probably not. I appreciate the Fed Ex Charges are not the fault of Make Music of course, although I would welcome the day they offer Finale as a download. Still, I'm enjoying my Finale 2011 with the new features that I have use for plus the added fixes, fixtures and fittings.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post

I didn't like the smirking sax player you had to look at every time you open finale 09, thought a picture of the painting called "Scream" would be more fitting there. Okay joking about the scream, but I tried to replace the pic with a pic of a grand piano player or a pic of a full orchestra, but unlike all other programs on my mac, it is hidden and doesn't show up in a pic search. It's lime they thought someone might want to change it and for some crazy reason didn't want to allow it.

So I was just a little curious, what's the pic that you see everytime you open 2011, is it an emo girl playing a didgeridoo or something like that?
    Hello Leaf,

I do agree with you about some of those terrible photos in the past. This time (Finale 2011) we're sitting in the middle of a string section. This is the largest photo for 2011 edition I could find on their site:

http://www.finalemusic.com/Finale/Default.aspx

I think this is an improvement.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thumbs up Re: OT - Finale 2011

Thank you very much for the info Michael! Sounds like a good deal, I have always liked Finale except for that one severe irritant, the weird looking smirk and dreadlocks everytime you want to make music, and even weirder the pic hidden so you can't change it. It always made me think the makers of the program had been taking LSD.
    Last edited by Leaf; 06-30-2010 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Puncuation correction

I love Finale.

I've been using since 3.2.1. (currently using 2010) I will probably NOT be upgrading to any further version till they update the MIDI tool. even if they just added a PENCIL to "draw" in the CC data would be worth it to me. That is the one area more and more people have been wanting to be updated and changed for the past 3-4 years, but nada.

Here's to hoping the next one will have a makeover of the MIDI tool.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum