• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: upgrading for strings library...

Share/Bookmark

upgrading for strings library...

I'm looking for a top of the line strings library and after doing some research, Cinematic Strings caught my eye(mainly because of pricing haha). I read the system specs and it def. seems like I need to upgrade my computer. I have no knowledge of SATA drvies so if anyone could point me to where I can get these or any information I'd really appriciate it. I am also going to post my current system specs so I can get more insight into what I need. I don't need to load all articulations at once or have huge super templates, I just need something that's workable. I'm willing to bounce often if need be.

Windows XP
    system- HP Pavilion 061
    Processor- AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor3800+, MMX, 3DNow(2 cpu)s
    3GB Ram

Re: upgrading for strings library...

SATA (Serial ATA) drives will be of no use to you if your motherboard doesn't have SATA connections. SATA drives are newer than the old IDE drives and are the current standard. If you upgrade your system, you'll be installing SATA rather than IDE. If you Goggle "SATA", you'll find a wealth of specific information.
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Unfortunately, with any "full featured" recent string library you are probably looking at needing to replace your computer. At the very least you will need 4 gigs of ram, and with the higher end libraries, 8 gigs. While some libraries will at least run on your system, perforance would probably be lacking.

Given your system, you might want to take a look at Kirk Hunter's strings or one of the othe "budget" libraries that could mesh well with what you already own, one that doesn't require quite as much computer power.

Quote Originally Posted by n3wman918 View Post
    I'm looking for a top of the line strings library and after doing some research, Cinematic Strings caught my eye(mainly because of pricing haha). I read the system specs and it def. seems like I need to upgrade my computer. I have no knowledge of SATA drvies so if anyone could point me to where I can get these or any information I'd really appriciate it. I am also going to post my current system specs so I can get more insight into what I need. I don't need to load all articulations at once or have huge super templates, I just need something that's workable. I'm willing to bounce often if need be.

Windows XP
    system- HP Pavilion 061
    Processor- AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor3800+, MMX, 3DNow(2 cpu)s
    3GB Ram
    I'm a new (and happy!) user of Cinematic Strings. I don't think the drive is the key issue here. The samples are loaded into memory first. When I load up the stage mics for the long articulation samples for each section of the string orchestra, I'm registering about 1.75GB RAM useage. I'm using CS on a Win 7 64bit laptop with 4GB RAM (purely for proof of concept purposes at this stage) and CS is running ok and leaving room for Finale and some other samples. But I will be looking to get an 8 -12 GB RAM machine to support the full capabilities of CS.

Regards, Graham

I would recommend you to buy a new computer with 64bit capability, if you want to use any current top string library comfortably.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Thanks for the replies everyone. What would be the best course of action for buying a new computer? Do I build it at a website or what? I'm not computer savvy so I'm not really sure what kind of PC would work best with today's current libraries. Thanks.

If you are not familiar with DIY in the field of PC, the best way is to buy music PC from places like Sweetwater.

It would be helpful to know what your budget or musical (or professional) requirements are.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Well, I'm in the process of saving up little by little to get an updated system but I'm looking at spending no more than around 1,000 on a system. I browsed through some of sweetwater's computers but I can't tell what would work well within that price range and allow me to update to things like cinematic strings or LASS.

I was thinking about buying a velocirapter SATA hard drive to put all of my samples on and allow me to add these types of string libraries in the future. I can make due with bouncing cause I'm sure if i go this route; I'm gonna be doing a lot of that. What would be the best choice with these things in mind for a computer by sweetwater? Thanks for all the help!

Have you looked at East West's Hollywood strings?..
    It sounds big... Very big.

IMO LASS and HS combined are the must-have string libraries for the very serious composer with a dedicated Studio PC.

For the Hobbyist I'd recommend String Essentials 2 and Kirk Hunter....Affordable, amazing and less resource eating.

I can't believe I've never heard of string essentials 2 before! Would something like this work on my current setup? Or would I have to still upgrade my pc?

Go Back to forum