• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: An Ever Lightening Sky

Share/Bookmark

An Ever Lightening Sky

I haven't posted anything for a while - most of what I've written over the last year and a half hasn't been "Garritan rendered"; this one is, with the exception of the voices.

I did a project this spring with students, and we needed a work that depicted the dawn/end of night. Thus the title. It starts in the dead of night, and gradually you can feel the first stirrings of air, and then, finally, the full sunrise itself.

As always, thanks in advance for listening, and even more for comments.

An Ever Lightening Sky
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Re: An Ever Lightening Sky

Wow, Ron, very nice.

The topic alone is creatively interesting - and the subtle gradation or transition is well written.
    A very relaxing work.

Much enjoyed!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi, Ron,

I'm one of those who frequently finds your works somewhat, um, inaccessible. That being said, I really liked this. It's got a minimalist feel to my ear, and develops quite nicely.

Thanks for sharing!

Liked it too. Nice, slow development, minimalist, yet not tedious, and relaxing indeed. One minor point wrt sound: it seems clipped/distorted towards the end.
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Wow, Ron, very nice.

The topic alone is creatively interesting - and the subtle gradation or transition is well written.
    A very relaxing work.

Much enjoyed!

M
    Michael,

Thanks. I'm glad the subtle shifting reads well. It is a very minimalist-type of work, but without the strict formula. I appreciate your taking the time to listen.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Quote Originally Posted by raweber View Post
    Hi, Ron,

I'm one of those who frequently finds your works somewhat, um, inaccessible. That being said, I really liked this. It's got a minimalist feel to my ear, and develops quite nicely.

Thanks for sharing!
    Rob,

Yes, indeed, the minimalist feel is there. I'd be very curious to know what piece/pieces you found inaccessible. Not to put you on the spot ( you could PM me), but that is the kind of feedback one rarely gets - and is so very valuable. Given that my track record with you is, uh, not so hot, I truly am thankful that you decided to give this one a go! It is very easy to say, "well I haven't liked his/her other work, I won't bother with this..." Glad you took the time to listen and comment. Much appreciated.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    Liked it too. Nice, slow development, minimalist, yet not tedious, and relaxing indeed. One minor point wrt sound: it seems clipped/distorted towards the end.
    Theo,

The "not tedious" is good news - any composition has to avoid that, and one with a minimalist orientation has to be especially careful; so the fact that I was able to escape that trap is good to know. I'll check the distortion - there was one very brief point about 8 minutes in, but I didn't hear anything at the end; I need to improve on the audio end of things.

Thanks again for stopping by, and taking the time to listen and comment.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

I don't know what minimalistic is, but why using a whole lots of notes, while you can with just a few to set the mood? Instead of the voices I would have used strings or woodwinds (better). This piece develops well and though it is a bit strange to my ears, I liked it very much. Maybe you can change that ever repeating piano motiv to interchange with lower strings (like violas). Then there is much more variation...... but that is my opinion.

... and near the end, a bit of distortion........ true

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I don't know what minimalistic is, but why using a whole lots of notes, while you can with just a few to set the mood? Instead of the voices I would have used strings or woodwinds (better). This piece develops well and though it is a bit strange to my ears, I liked it very much. Maybe you can change that ever repeating piano motiv to interchange with lower strings (like violas). Then there is much more variation...... but that is my opinion.

... and near the end, a bit of distortion........ true

Raymond
    Raymond,

Yes, fewer notes at the beginning might be a good idea. I could have used different instruments, but was writing for the specific forces I had on hand for the project - hence electric guitars, electric bass, cello, etc.

I appreciate your comments, and will think about the possible changes you suggest.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

Minimalistically hypnotic while driven by the growth of an
    unquenchable, irresistable forward momentum as it develops
    -- this piece sidles up to you with an initial innocence that
    rapidly turns into an outright seduction.

Well conceived and very well executed, Ron. Well done!

My best,

David
    ------
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast