• Register
  • Help

Topic: Installing Omnisphere, Trilian and RMX on second computer

Share/Bookmark

Installing Omnisphere, Trilian and RMX on second computer

I'm about to set up a laptop for my mobile setup. I've got Omnisphere, Trilian and RMX installed on my regular PC - is there a way to copy the Spectrasonics sound libraries to the laptop (via external harddrive), or do I have to install it all from the DVDs?

Re: Installing Omnisphere, Trilian and RMX on second computer

I'm not sure about the licencing arrangements on a second PC so I'll let others respond to that one.
    I've just gone through the process of installing a bigger second drive and MOVING the data for those applications. Okay, I had a bit of fun & games with RMX due to an "iffy" file but moving isn't too bad.

The problem lies in the fact (and I found this whilst moving data) that there are more files than just those in program files\spectrasonics. You will find another folder in all users\applications\spectrasonics and my guess is that there are registry entries too.
    On top of that you'll have to authorise the software again with the challenge codes and you may be informed that the software is already registered (again one for Eric).

My guess is that if it's legal, do a fresh install - you can always be doing something else while it's all going on!
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

It's legal to install Spectrasonics instruments on a second computer - in fact you can install it on as many computers you like. It's a "multiple computers - single user license".

But I have to do the DVD install then? That's not a problem - it's just a little slower.

Here's from the Spectrasonics site about license:

"How many computers can I install it on?
    Since all Spectrasonics instruments have a Single User/ Multiple Computer license, this means you can install and use Omnisphere on as many computers that you own and will be using yourself"

Thanks!

Here is what it says in the Omni FAQs under Support on the Spectrasonics site... maybe this helps?

Follow the instructions in the 'How do I find my STEAM folder and Omnisphere data files?' FAQ to locate your STEAM folder. After you have found your STEAM folder, copy it to the hard drive location of your choice. This can be another drive partition, a secondary internal drive or an external hard drive such as a Firewire or USB2 hard drive, etc.

Next, go back to the Spectrasonics folder and delete the STEAM alias (Mac) or shortcut (Windows) you find there.

Now, start your host and load Omnisphere. When prompted for the location of your STEAM folder, choose the new location. Restart your host and load Omnisphere to begin using the new location of your STEAM folder.

Note: the instructions on page 52 of the Omnisphere User Guide have a typographical error. The correct instructions are:

On the Mac, move the STEAM folder from the current location (the default is /Library/Application Support/Spectrasonics) to the desired location. Make an alias to the STEAM folder and put that alias in the /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/Spectrasonics folder. Rename the alias to STEAM.[/url]

Thank you!

Yeah, that was good but I'm still a little uncertain whether I can skip the DVDs or not. Still looks like I need to run the installer.

I'd do the DVD's because you're not moving the data to another drive but installing it on a separate pc. Yes I know it's long winded. Mine took ages because I have so many expansion packs from Ilio, Nine Volt Audio & Skippy but it's well worth doing a clean install onto your laptop.

Take heart though - you can still be RMX'ing, Trilianianianing & being Omnipotent on your main pc while they're being installed.
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Ok, thank you.

Let's go then ...

Go Back to forum