• Register
  • Help

Topic: Requiem demo - "Plowing through space"

Share/Bookmark

Requiem demo - "Plowing through space"

I've been working mostly on scripts, but I figured I should have a proper play (mostly for new ideas for functionality) and this was the result. It's a bit rough as it's only an hour or so of toying around, but it's as finished as it's gonna be. I had a cue from my space game in mind writing it, so hopefully it feels a bit sci-fi.

catpee link | mp3 download

I used FL Studio 9, WIVI2, Kontakt, LASS, True Strike, Hollywoodwinds, Requiem and my Syllabuild script, Emotional piano. I think that's it.

With Requiem, has anyone else noticed popping and clipping when using the stage mic vowel sustain? They're quite apparent in the last half of that mp3 once the Oh's kick in 40 seconds onwards.
    Blake Robinson
    programmer | designer | composer
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

Re: Requiem demo - "Plowing through space"

Cool demo!

I haven't looked at the waveform yet, but to me it seemed that the clicks were totally hard panned, but not always to the same side, which seems odd. I don't suppose there's any chance it was underruns in FL Studio?
    David

UPDATED:

It's actually an issue in Kontakt 4 by the looks of it. The loop points differ when I load the patch in Kontakt 4.1 than from when I load it into Kontakt 3.5. How annoying! Has anyone has similar issues to this?

Shown here
    Blake Robinson
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

I am seriously in love with the realistic sound of this choir library. And just like I originally suspected: it doesn't matter what words they're actually singing, because you're listening for the gaps or the synthetic sounds between them, or for the words that have been strung together, and there are none. nice demo!

kerry

The Marcato instruments are my new favourite toy. Mixed in with the staccatos, you can make pretty much any kind of loud chant and it sounds great. Thanks, glad you liked it.
    Blake Robinson
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

The choir and solo singers do indeed sound excellent. The trumpets do not sound like they are in the same rich ambient enviroment as the singers. They sound like they are in a smaller space.

Best,
    Jay

Sounds great!

Do you think you can re-encode the MP3 at a higher bitrate (320, or FLAC)? Choir and harmonically dense material really suffers from compression.

Great demo!

Glad everyone likes it. Thanks for the feedback, Jay. Totally agree with what you said. I've tweaked the brass reverb a little (WIVI's reverb is one of the few things I find a bit of a pain to work with sometimes in the software) and updated it (at 320 bitrate too). Same URL (with visual MIDI files now for anyone who's interested - you can find the Requiem programming in the respective MIDI channels).

catpee | mp3 | visual midi 01 02 03
    Blake Robinson
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

Excellent piece. Your use of the solo soprano sounds very good too. I think the solo voices are difficult to mix in. Great job.

Marko

Go Back to forum