• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking for particular sounds

Share/Bookmark

Looking for particular sounds

I am posting this here because I know there is a wealth of talent that frequents this site:
    I will be pitching for a show that needs surf music. I'm looking for references for inspiration.
    The only "surf" music I know is Wipeout. Is there more to that style than that?
    As well is there any library out there that has a selection of recognizable surf/beach sounds?
    Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core 12Gig DDR3 1HD - 500GB for system 3HD - 1TB Seagate Sata II for audio and samples RME Multiface II Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Cubase 5 64 bit Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, EWQLSO Gold with Close Mics, QL Choirs, Gypsy, SD1, SD2 Pro, QL Pianos Gold, QL RA, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock, Reaktor, Memphis Horns, Ethno World II, Garritan Strings

Re: Looking for particular sounds

By 'eck Slinky - that takes me back. Wipeout by the Safaris (Decca label?)

I can hear every note of it in my head!
    Can't offer much help but I'd say "real" surfing music was more Beach Boys than Safaris.
    How about (and this may sound crazy) googling for midi files and safaris or surf city sound etc?
    That may point you towards some material.
    Sorry I can't help more.
    BTW - that was the second record I ever bought (what an old geezer!!!!)
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

wouldn't cheesey organs be a main instrument to consider (the olds 60's ones- not hammonds). I am thinking the "Pulp Fiction" style guitar effects would also be needed. Maybe YouTube for some Beach Boy video's to see what they are playing.

Try looking for anything by the Ventures (3-guitar surf band from the early 60s that recorded Wipeout) or from the latter-day surf revival band Laika and the Cosmonauts. That should get you started!

Ventures? Safaris methinks!
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Thanks guys, I'm well on my way now.
    Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core 12Gig DDR3 1HD - 500GB for system 3HD - 1TB Seagate Sata II for audio and samples RME Multiface II Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Cubase 5 64 bit Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, EWQLSO Gold with Close Mics, QL Choirs, Gypsy, SD1, SD2 Pro, QL Pianos Gold, QL RA, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock, Reaktor, Memphis Horns, Ethno World II, Garritan Strings

Go Back to forum