• Register
  • Help

Topic: Do all Piano Samples have Latency issues??

Share/Bookmark

Do all Piano Samples have Latency issues??

I recently bought my first piano sample Alicias Keys and could not deal with the huge latency issues (Piano did sound decent though). My computer is very fast and I have alot of ram so I know that isnt an issue.
    I am now shopping for something that "feels" instantanous and has a great piano sound. So I am wondering if other Samples like Ivory or Sampletek have these latency issues and a squishy feel when playing??
    Appreciate any advice.

Re: Do all Piano Samples have Latency issues??

Quote Originally Posted by LouT View Post
    I recently bought my first piano sample Alicias Keys and could not deal with the huge latency issues (Piano did sound decent though). My computer is very fast and I have alot of ram so I know that isnt an issue.
    I am now shopping for something that "feels" instantanous and has a great piano sound. So I am wondering if other Samples like Ivory or Sampletek have these latency issues and a squishy feel when playing??
    Appreciate any advice.
    I'm pretty sure it's not a problem of the library itself... with ASIO drivers and a latency of 256 samples you should get a delay of around 5 ms, which is quite good. After all the real piano has a latency too, between the key stroke and the hammer hitting the strings...

There is a way to improve the latency problem.

Turn the modulation wheel up fully, either on your keyboard or in K4

This is temporary fix until an update is ready

There is more info about this on the NI forum

Ivory does not suffer, and in my opinion is the best piano VST ever, in feel and sound.
    I do quite like Alicia VST, but nowhere near the quality of Ivory

regards

Quote Originally Posted by studio64 View Post
    There is a way to improve the latency problem.

Turn the modulation wheel up fully, either on your keyboard or in K4

This is temporary fix until an update is ready

There is more info about this on the NI forum
    Even with all the "fixes" the latency is still much longer than some other programs. For instance, the latency is around 7 mS or more (depends on key) longer than the Garritan Steinway (both using a 128 point buffer).

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...-piano-18.html

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...a+keys+latency

Yeesh! You're up against two convolution reverbs and a programming error. Have fun!

Ernie

What I can't understand, is with all the testing of the VST, Alicia using it for her album, and so many different people involved in the product, that the latency problem wasn't noticed and sorted before the release.

Perhaps because too many people were involved, is the reason.

I think they should have left the whole job to Scarbee.

Agreed - it does all seem a bit strange.

Btw, I listened to the preview clips of the album in iTunes, and it seems to me that the instrument is placed in the background - it's not as prominent as I was hoping. I'm assuming of course that the preview clips are representative - this might not always be the case.

Greg.

Go Back to forum