• Register
  • Help

Topic: Would you buy this?

Share/Bookmark

Would you buy this?

Last year I upgraded my Plugsound Pro, Ultrafocus and X-Treme FX to the UVI Soundplayer versions. I am recently getting into this software. Some of the synth sounds in Synth Anthology (formerly Ultra Focus) are really cool and the ability to layer patches within the interface is dead simple. I enjoy layering different sounds from Plugsound, Synth Anthology and X-treme Effects and have come up with some compelling multis.

I noticed the new Waveframe library and was considering it as a purchase. I am a sucker for anything resembling a Fairlight or Synclavier (I have Cult sampler) as these were dream machines when I was getting into synths.

If you look at the content that comes with the Waveframe library it seems more "meat and potatoes" type stuff. I was hoping for more ecletic Fairlight sounds but it looks like this is not that. A 3 layered velocity piano would seem to pale in comparison to what I already have. Ditto for the strings etc.

Just wondering if anyone has this or feels like there might be $100 worth of gems in here. Again, the Fairlight CMI was a dream and the thought of playing some of those sounds would be a great nostalgic ride but I'm wondering if I'd just cruise through the patches and then never use it again.

Any input is much appreciated,

Darren

PS Link is http://www.uvisoundsource.com/all-pr.../60/demo/audio
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: Would you buy this?

bump........
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

I also own Plugsound Pro and Anthology. I haven't touched them in a while, but after reading your post I decided to check them out again and remembered how good they sound, and how CPU efficient (the 64-bit version) is. The Waveframe demos sound good, but I really would like the Acoustic Toy Museum......except for the fact that they want $349 for that lib..... overpriced IMHO. My only other complaint is that I do not like having to double click every time to access patches, but maybe I need to read the manual.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick View Post
    ........., the Fairlight CMI was a dream and the thought of playing some of those sounds would be a great nostalgic ride .............
    There's a Fairlight CMI 30A (30th Anniversary) Limited Edition coming .......... for about $17000. http://www.fairlightinstruments.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Udo View Post
    There's a Fairlight CMI 30A (30th Anniversary) Limited Edition coming .......... for about $17000. http://www.fairlightinstruments.com.au
    Wow! Glad to see the Fairlight making a comeback. (?) I'm sure the majority sold will be more for richer nostalgic people. For $17,000 these days you could pretty much own every soft synth on the planet, a decent couple of computers to run it and have a few bucks left over.

Still companies like Fairlight paved the way for the amazing tools we now have. I respect the heck out of these guys for what they accomplished with the limited technology. Peter Vogel and Kim Ryrie were coaxing miracles out of 1 mhz processors and some of the songs written with these machines will live on forever. (check out the amazing youtube clip of Peter Gabriel actually writing "the Rhythm of the Heat" with his Fairlight) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON8lVgJxMQA)

As crazy as it sounds I think I might start saving up. My mid-life crisis Porsche may have to take a backseat to this "icon of a golden age"

Back to the main topic, anybody out there purchased the waveframe library yet?

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick View Post
    As crazy as it sounds I think I might start saving up. My mid-life crisis Porsche may have to take a backseat to this "icon of a golden age"
    I've got some 8" floppies if you need them ...

Ernie

Go Back to forum