• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: VOXOS choir lib by Cinesamples

Share/Bookmark

VOXOS choir lib by Cinesamples

I am pretty impressed with this video by Cinesamples about their upcoming VOXOS choir library- http://www.cinesamples.com/products/voxos/

I'm glad I held of on Requiem, as VOXOS may just be what I am looking for. August 31st is the release date on the video and there will be a introductory price of $799 (regular $999)

Check it out.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: VOXOS choir lib by Cinesamples

It does look really cool, but I think Requiem & Voxos might be 2 very different approaches to using a choir. Voxos seems to be approaching from a worldbuilder-ish standpoint (a la Symphonic Choirs, albeit way easier to use!), and Requiem from the standpoint of "the words themselves don't matter, it's the effect you're going after." For me as a composer, after having so much trouble with Symph Choirs over the years, I'm leaning heavily towards Requiem's approach. With Symph Choirs the words themselves never really mattered to me, just the fact that there was a perceived change in vowels & consonants as the line moved along which gave the choir some great realism as long as you had enough other things going on around it to mask the parts or transitions that still didn't sound quite realistic enough. Know what I mean? I'm over-the-moon about Requiem having ready-built phrases and lines that you can adjust on-the-fly, so that it will sound even more realistic than individually-programmable words. 'Cuz at the end of the day I'm using the choir for effect and punctuation, not so much for the words they're actually singing.

BUT there's room for everyone at the table, certainly! And I'm guessing that 50% of us want word-builder-esque capability, and the other 50% want pure effect. The awesomest thing? That Kontakt can make all of this stuff soooo easy, when 2 years ago we had no idea that this would even be possible. I heart boutique sample developers!

Kerry

If money wasn't an option for me I would love to have both libs. The only thing that concerns me with Requiem is the vast amount of phrases. I am almost sick of the amount of times I still hear phrases used from SOV (no offense to this awesome lib that I still own myself).

I am very proud that I actually used REAL sopranos, adult choirs, and children's choirs on my last CD "Sojourns". The children and adult choirs only cost me a $400 donation to a church and were worth every penny. I guess I am just tired of choir phrases. I personally like the approach of Voxos, but I'm sure one day I myself will probably need one of the over-used choir phrases soon (now that I've complained about it ) and will be forced to buy Requiem to compliment Voxos.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

So choirs are like buses. You wait an hour and then ten come along together.

Well I'm not sure I want the word-builder approach. Unless it's a couple of hundred syllables I think I would get sick of hearing my choir randomly say Vuh and Cri.

On the other hand the legatos sound great, and the fact that it's separate sections is what I want. Let's face it altos singing a middle C don't sound like sopranos trying to sing middle C. If anyone from Cinesamples is watching, please consider making this available in parts. I'd quite happily go for the legato oohs and aahs, but the chances of me persuading my wife that I need the whole thing are slim.
    David

As a choir lover i must say that this sounds pretty convincing.
    I wonder if the WB capability extend to the sus patched and legato intervals.

very interesting library, especially for what they say about new interesting features that they cannot disclose at this time!!!

Roberto

I don't think Mike at Cinesamples will mind me quoting his e-mail to me-

" Hopefully the announcement we're about to make in the next few days will make your decision that much sweeter... "

I cannot wait to here the announcement.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

mmmh always more interesing quantum7

Re: "vast amount of phrases"
    I'm not sure so sure that Requiem is about pre-made phrases at all, and I suspect that PMP's may only be a very small part of the Requiem arsenal. I'll be able to say more though once I have it installed and have been able to work with it. I don't know enough about either product yet to compare in detail, but all I can see so far is that Voxos is a larger library in size and is more expensive. That doesn't necessarily make it better or even equivalent though. I saw nothing in their video that would suggest anyone should regret buying Requiem. Don't forget Requiem has syllables too, and IMHO, I'm wouldn't think that 30 syllables in Voxos can be called a 'Wordbuilder'. Finally, Bella D has already used a similar approach with Giovani and The Soprano etc. so none of this is new.

After working with VOP and EWQLSC for the last few years, I'm not certain that I really need a WordBuilder approach either. As Kerry suggests, it's not something that is essential for everyone. But yes, there is more than likely "room at the table" for everyone, and I'm sure we'll continue to see excellent and competing new products not only in the near future, but with each passing year as well.

Re: "I am very proud that I actually used REAL sopranos, adult choirs, and children's choirs on my last CD "Sojourns"."
    --- Yes, and when I saw the price of EW's Hollywood Strings, I thought to myself "I could hire a string section for that kind of money".

Thanks for the info...........................frank
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

The video looks very interesting and it is nice to see that more and more voices and choirs are coming available.
    I really like the user interface with the phrase builder. It is similar to Bela D Media's Vocal Tools but this one just seems a lot more user friendly than having to scroll through lists of syllables.
    However, perhaps it is the video compression but I noticed quite some noises/distortion in the soprano legato vocals. I hope this is just a flaw in the demo.

Go Back to forum