• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4/Aria in Logic Pro-multiple tracks?

Share/Bookmark

GPO4/Aria in Logic Pro-multiple tracks?

I've been using GPO4 in Logic Pro and the sounds are wonderful, but I have a basic question that I can't seem to answer. When I record multiple instruments into the single instance of ARIA (each using a different midi channel), they are all recorded on a single track in Logic. The result is a muddled track, full of recordings for several instruments. how do I assign each instrument to a separate track?

Re: GPO4/Aria in Logic Pro-multiple tracks?

Hi Soundhound, welcome to Northern Sounds... as you can probably guess by my avatar, I use Digital Performer on a Mac, so I though I would help shed a little light on your subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundhound View Post
    how do I assign each instrument to a separate track?
    Each ARIA instance is capable of loading 16 instruments, and each Aria instance provides 16 stereo groups. The audio outputs from ARIA will look something like this when you choose the specific group for your audio tracks.

If you run out of slots, and need more instruments, simply add another ARIA instance, you will see that it is named ARIA player 2- etc. It will have separate unique midi channels and audio group outputs separate from the other ARIA players.

When you load an instrument into the first slot, it is midi channel one. The second slot is midi channel two, and so on, but these midi channels can easily be changed by clicking on them, this would allow numerous instruments to play from the same midi track if you so choose.

Assign each loaded instrument to a dedicated unique stereo group, starting with 3-4, then set the pan so the first instrument is panned "hard left", and the next instrument sharing that group set to "hard right", and so on... There is no reason to waste RAM on a stereo audio track for a mono instrument. Since most sounds are mono in GPO, we can share a stereo group. The piano and many of the percussion instruments are stereo, as well as all the "section" sounds of strings. For stereo sounds, you will need both left and right (odd and even) channels of the stereo group for just that one instrument, so sharing a group with another instruments is not sensible.

Using ARIA and Logic like this, the pan knob in the ARIA player has nothing to do with where the instrument will sound from.... left... or right, instead, the ARIA pan knob is used to determine the exact routing into Logic's audio tracks.

In the video, you can see me load a bunch of JABB instruments, and then you can see me assigning them to different ARIA audio group outputs. Of course you will have to create the appropriate number of mono and stereo audio tracks in Logic, and use the correct routing so that each instrument corresponds to the correct audio track.

Once all of your midi tracks have been delicately created with the appropriate mod-wheel data, the instruments can be recorded to separate audio tracks, then you can mix and balance them with fader automation to increase the musical dynamics. The pan setting in Logic's mixer will be used to determine the panorama (left to right) of each track.

May I suggest that after you load all of your instruments, you go to the "CONTROLS" tab on the right hand side of the player and turn off "stereo stage". This is not a feature you will want to use if you have a good Convolution reverb. On the other hand, if you don't have a really good reverb program, you may want to leave this turned on, which is the default for all instruments. If you do use this feature, you will need to use a stereo group output for every instrument even if they are mono, because this feature places the mono instrument in a stereo IR (impulse response).

I hope this helps, and again welcome to Northern Sounds.
    It is nice to hear you are enjoying GPO4!
    Dan

Quicktime movie

Re: GPO4/Aria in Logic Pro-multiple tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by Soundhound View Post
    I've been using GPO4 in Logic Pro and the sounds are wonderful, but I have a basic question that I can't seem to answer. When I record multiple instruments into the single instance of ARIA (each using a different midi channel), they are all recorded on a single track in Logic. The result is a muddled track, full of recordings for several instruments. how do I assign each instrument to a separate track?

Logic is messy for this. For a multi-timbral software instrument you need
    to set the instrument to multi timbral and create auxiliary channel strips to
    receive the 2nd and so on outputs of the software instrument.
    (I assume youhave the MIDI channels set already in tha Arrange tracks
    and Aria if you arehearing different instruments).

For Logic 9.1 (OSX 10.6.3)

In the Mixer Pane on the Aria Channel Strip,
    click on Aria Player just below I/O and
    set Aria to Multi Output(16xStereo)
    In the Mixer Pane, click on "Options" and
    choose the top "Create New Auxiliary channel strips".
    Set to stereo and desired number, up to 15.
    On each Auxiliary strip, 1 to 15,
    set the I/O to the Aria instrument output, 3/4 for Aux 1,
    5/6 for Aux 2, etc.
    Call up the Aria pane where you set the orchestal instruments.
    Just below the name, there is a 1/2.
    Set it to 3/4 for the 2nd instrument, 5/6 for the third etc.

I think of the flow as this:
    each track is set to go to an Aria instrument
    the MIDI channel settings on the Arrange tracks and the Aria tracks
    determine which GPO instrument and arrange track goes to
    the output setings in ARIA and input setting on the channel strips
    (both the instrument and the auxiliary strips) determine which channel
    strip gets which Aria output/Arrange track.

I do not think you need to modify the tracks in the Arrange pane.

You may want to save a version of this without MIDI events as a track
    template to avoid doing it for each project.

I find multiple Aria instances simpler.

Hope this helps.

drb

Go Back to forum