• Register
  • Help

Topic: 'When everything is said' a song for mezzo-soprano with piano accompaniment

Share/Bookmark

'When everything is said' a song for mezzo-soprano with piano accompaniment

Hello!
    This is something I worked on for quite a long time and I'm very pleased with how it ended up. It's a song for a lyrical mezzo-soprano or baritone. Vocal range is a-f2 (soprano) or A-f1 (baritone). Moderately difficult to sing (higher register in pianissimo at the end), but the melody itself isn't that complex. The accompaniment.. I wanted to keep it simple and think I managed that, but the harmony itself elicits the changes in tonality and alterations here and there.

Text is in estonian language (my native) and here are the lyrics, both in original language and an English translation:

Kui öeldud kõik

Tulingi tagasi.
    Kuigi ei tea, kuhu siis õieti.
    Püüdmatult kaugel see rand,
    kuhu jäin ootama.
    Tundub, et sajandeid tagasi.
    Ja see lõpmatu vihm, mida sinuga jagasin -
    sellest on võrsunud õied, mis
    kord on kui süü ja kord on kui and.
    Kaunim ja karmim, kui loota ma
    oleksin osanud eales.
    Tahtsin vaid homset. Ühtainsat. Sinuga koos.

Kõigi su reiside pagasi
    mahutan ainsale reale.

Roos on ikkagi roos on roos on roos.

When everything is said

Thus I've returned
    although not sure, where exactly.
    Unreachable and distant is the shore
    on which I was left waiting -
    seems as if ages ago.
    And from the endless rain I shared with you
    flowers have blossomed which
    sometimes seem as if they're guilt,
    other times seem as if they're a blessing.
    More beautiful and harsh than I would
    ever have been able to hope for.
    I just wanted a tomorrow. A single tomorrow. With you.

All the luggage of your travels -
    I will place that into one line.

A rose is still a rose is a rose is a rose

Links -
    mp3: http://www.box.net/shared/ok1tz2qs0c...2646/440041214
    pdf: http://www.box.net/shared/lalcr6yh7a

The song has been performed live once already and I will have a recording of that soon, but was still too eager to post the 'instrumental' version already
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Re: 'When everything is said' a song for mezzo-soprano with piano accompaniment

Great piece, but in the presentation here, the voice doesn't speak enough. In other words, the piano is too much in the foreground and too loud. When it comes out, I really want to hear what it is like. Must be great, I am sure.

Raymond

Nice, sweet, melancholic piece. Raymond is right: the balance between the clarinet and the piano can use a bit of improvement. At some points the piano should step down a little, at other points the clarinet should be a bit louder. Stylistically, it sounds somewhere between a "lied" and a ballad to me. Well done.
    Theo

Here's the live-performance now, some parts could be better, but all in all nice I think (as the composer): http://www.box.net/shared/h89p25vsiq
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

My Estonian is improving. I recognized the word "roos" (haha).
    Sung it is greater, but again your piano is too loud.

Anyhow a very pleasant piece, more of this maestro,please.

Raymond

Go Back to forum