• Register
  • Help

Topic: Latest software patch...can I install with SX3?

Share/Bookmark

Latest software patch...can I install with SX3?

Hi all.

I'm currently running software 32 bit 1.1.4c in Omnisphere and was about to install the latest 1.3.2c when I noticed the compatibility chart that says it's not supported for Cubase SX3 which is what I have. Only It runs fine at the moment with the older software though, so I'm a little confused. Can anyone confirm whether this new software will be supported with SX3 or not?

Thanks.

Re: Latest software patch...can I install with SX3?

It was announced awhile ago that SX3 will indeed no longer be supported with the later updates. Glenn and Eric reported that "all current Spectrasonics products require a host which supports VST 2.4, so you'll need a newer version of Cubase. Something from the past few years, like 4 or 5, will do."

Time for an upgrade to Cubase 5.1.1?
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Thanks for clarifying that one playz123. Looks like a long held off upgrade is indeed needed. It's just a little annoying as there is nothing that SX3 can't do for my needs. Oh, and the usual learning curve!

Quote Originally Posted by nomy View Post
    It's just a little annoying as there is nothing that SX3 can't do for my needs. Oh, and the usual learning curve!
    But let me just say -- as someone who also held off on upgrading from SX3 for the same reasons -- you won't regret moving up to Cubase 5.

Almost no learning curve from SX3 (only a few things are different) and you get a TON of new effects that work quite well (for me, anyway).

The only big thing (for me) was that they dropped DX support -- I had several unique, DX-only effects that are now not usable unless I boot up SX3 (you can leave it installed, by the way, and go back to it when necessary).

So, I highly recommend you try Cubase 5 -- by FAR the best Cubase for me, and I go all the way back to v3.5 (around 1997, I think?)...

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoTain View Post
    But let me just say -- as someone who also held off on upgrading from SX3 for the same reasons -- you won't regret moving up to Cubase 5.

Almost no learning curve from SX3 (only a few things are different) and you get a TON of new effects that work quite well (for me, anyway).

The only big thing (for me) was that they dropped DX support -- I had several unique, DX-only effects that are now not usable unless I boot up SX3 (you can leave it installed, by the way, and go back to it when necessary).

So, I highly recommend you try Cubase 5 -- by FAR the best Cubase for me, and I go all the way back to v3.5 (around 1997, I think?)...

Thanks for that TokyoTain. I've done a little research and I do like the sound of the effects bundled with it. Especially nice to have a good quality reverb in the REVerence. Is it as good as it sounds? The pitch correction sounds useful too. Although I fear all this will push me onto another expense though, in the form of a more powerful computer. Oh well, buy now or later isn't it? No point in putting off the inevitable.

Thanks for the reassurance though, it helps a lot to find someone who was in my position.

There are so many improvements going from SX3 to CB5 it really is like going from a bass sample cd to Trilian. If you're a song writer then the arranger track alone should be worth the upgrade . Also there are a number of free dx wrappers if you need the format that time has forgotten.

OK guys, I'm sold

Now that I have decided to make the long needed move up to C5, can someone help me out with the registration situation with regards to the Education version?

I work as a music tutor with my local music store. Now, they are happy to sell me the Education version as I work with students who shop there so they know what I do etc. But what do I need to provide to Steinberg to prove I am a tutor? Do I have to send in a letter from my accountant or something formal like that?

The guys in the shop are split over what the procedure is to be honest. Some say I don't need to do anything and the registration is the same as it would be for anyone else buying the normal edition, and that the only 'vetting' is done by the retailer who sells you the software. The boss of the shop says I have to prove to Steinberg that I am genuine, but he doesn't know how! I don't have a problem with anything, but would like to know where I stand. I just want to buy the software and install it. If I have to get proof sent to Steinberg, I need to get this arranged before hand. I'm very impulsive and when I buy things, I want them to work NOW! If you see what I mean.

But it does seem a strange system and one that could be abused by people who just want a way of buying a cheap version of the full program.

Sorry to go on....and very off topic.

Hm-m, not sure if you would qualify or not, but I suggest you contact the local distributor for Steinberg in your country, not a store. They are really the only ones who can give you a definitive ruling. They've been fairly flexible in the past, so there might be no problem. On the other hand, I guess many of us could also say that we 'tutor' people if we show them how to use a program or explain a technique, but that doesn't necessarily mean WE qualify as educators.

Note too that, in the US, for example Steinberg states: "Please send a copy of your current Student, Faculty, or Staff ID to id@steinbergupgrades.com or Fax to 831 477-1206. Your order will ship when we receive your ID. If you are a Berkleemusic.com student please forward your enrollment confirmation email from Berkleemusic to id@steinbergupgrades.com" Do you have ID showing you are connected with a recognized institution??

Also note that if you do qualify: "Steinberg offers a range of products at special education pricing for facilities, educators and students. Please note that education products do not include printed user manuals." Hope that helps................frank
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Thanks for that. I'll contact Steinberg direct tomorrow when they open and find out once and for all...

Go Back to forum