• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: An oldie

Share/Bookmark

An oldie

Revisited. Revised. Done according to Randy B.'s setup (bouncing all over the place). Some trills aren't that good, sorry. Had a lot of trouble with the MIDI file coming from Notion. Took at least three days to edit it all.

Enjoy it or shoot it,

PianoConcerto complete (part1 and parts2+3 are tied together for obvious reasons)

Raymond

Re: An oldie

Hi Raymond.
    Listened to part 1.
    Very nice.
    Is it your effort with Finale?
    If so, happy you eventually reached the shore.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Is it your effort with Finale?
    not yet, originally composed and written with Mozart Notation. Copied it for learning purposes with Notion, exported MIDi from Notion..... and then SONAR 8.5

Tomorrow I will start with the Finale tutorials.

Raymond

I listened to both but liked the first one the best. Particularly at about 5:30, the strings thicken and somehow mesh with a great harmony, outstanding!
    What will you do next?

Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    What will you do next?
    It was my very first attempt writing an orchestral piece, so mistakes are all over the place.... What I am planning to do next?

0. Going to a Concert tomorrow, the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra with Mozart's 39th & 40th symphonies
    1. Learn Finale
    2. Have another fresh look at this pianoconcerto with Finale (when I know how)
    3. Composing another orchestral piece, of which I have already somesketches laying around (more in hte head than on paper)
    4. Reviewing some of my piano solo pieces
    5. Somehow trying to have a holiday in Spain (with that rain.. other thread)

and then we are at the end of this year........ Haha

Raymond

Anybody planning to download/listen to this piece, please wait for the next announcement. New developments are on their way, making it a greater piece, better rendered, better balanced, revised scores.

I had a long talk with a guy who knew about orchestral playing and together with my experiences at a life concert performance, I decided to do it completely different (completely?.... almost).

When ready, if anybody is interested having/viewing my SONAR project file, let me know, I will post it on Box.net also.

In the meantime, thanks for listening......

Raymond

I am ready. Don't know what to do next. Thinking there aren't any issues to correct. Since my latest visit to a concert (where I sat just about 3-4 meters from the 1st violins) my aural ideas of the ideal sound are drastically adjusted.

As we all know, musicians are humans and not computers, so bowing errors, intonation errors, sudden corrections of hand, wrist and the way of bowing are just normal things during a concert. Sudden changes in dynamics are the pitfalls for all "players in the field". Ask yourself, what you will do when you have a sudden change from a nice legato phrase to a hard down bow with an strong accent. This needs some immediate "reset" (to speak in computer terms).

I relived the 39th and 40th Symphonies of Mozart, having in mind a fairly good idea (memory) of the score. Conclusion: two great pieces and all demo's on any Musical Forum are very far from "reality". They are too smooth, too Mancini-like leaning, towards Hollywood strings.

Taking this "life experience" homewards, I decided to redo all instruments of my pianoconcert. I incorporated irregularities, extra solo strings with different panning and slightly different tuning and panning, gave the brass some dynamics jumps, etc. Going over the score I also shortened lots of notes for better distinction of the phrases, in particular those with "detaché" and/or "marcato".

Instrumentation:

piccolo
    2 flutes (each different panning and starting time)
    2 oboes (idem)
    2 clarinets (idem)
    2 bassoons (idem)

2 horns (idem, incl. pitchbends and diff. tuning)
    2 trumpets (different panning and starting time)
    2 trombones (different panning and starting time)
    1 tuba
    [all these SAM]

timpani
    triangle
    Steinway - stage side

violins1 with solo violin 2 (lowered volume, different panning/starting time)
    violins2 with solo violin 1 (lowered volume, different panning/starting time)
    violas with solo viola (lowered volume, different panning/starting time)
    celli - giving them a bit more volume and accent
    double basses - giving them a bit more accented playing

The link is the same, I only divided part2 and part 3 for the slower internet connections, but they should be played one after another directly (part3 has "Attacca subito" - part 2 has an "Open end").

By the way, this is done with Sonar 8.5.3.

Raymond
    [and now going to Finale to make the score readable for humans]

I took time yesterday afternoon and downloaded and listened to all three movements. The entire mix sounded excellent to me. The whole sound experience in listening to your concerto sounded natural and realistic. I could not hear any fabrication or forced control over the individual instruments. You have done a fantastic job of creating a wonderful aural experience in listening.

Of course there are always personal tastes. I would have liked to hear the basses a little more. But, as I said that is personal as my performances in orchestra have me sitting closer to the basses than to the 1st violins. (I play clarinet and am usually next to the bassoons and not far from the string basses. So, you see, it is all relative.

Thank you for a marvelous listening experience.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post

Of course there are always personal tastes. I would have liked to hear the basses a little more. But, as I said that is personal as my performances in orchestra have me sitting closer to the basses than to the 1st violins. (I play clarinet and am usually next to the bassoons and not far from the string basses. So, you see, it is all relative.

Thank you for a marvelous listening experience.
    Thank you for the kind words. I thought about giving the basses "a jump" and experimented with it. Next I rejected this idea, because it made the whole thing a bit too crowdy and muddy. Maybe, I will do some more experimenting with them, but my personal taste in a concert hall is always close to the first violins.

The older CD recordings I have, all show more basses, making the piece more "warm and smooth", but having listened to some modern recordings of Prokofiev's Pianoconcertos and Symphonies, I concluded that the old bass sound isn't there anymore. They are more sparkling, really dynamic in the higher registers.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    But, as I said that is personal as my performances in orchestra have me sitting closer to the basses than to the 1st violins. (I play clarinet and am usually next to the bassoons and not far from the string basses. So, you see, it is all relative.
    Just revisited your reply. In your orchestra are the clarinets at the right hand of the conductor? I placed my clarinets at the left, next to the flutes and at the right the oboes and bassoons(more right). Enlighten me.

Flutes 10-15% panned left, clarinets 20-25% panned left, oboes 10-15% right and bassoons 25-30% right.

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast