• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best Advice for a French Horn Sample Like This...

Share/Bookmark

Best Advice for a French Horn Sample Like This...

There is a section in the middle of James Newton Howard\'s MIDI demo that has the typical large Hollywood French Horn sound...I\'m wondering if you guys have a consensus on getting this sound. Would it be the Miroslav FHrn section I\'ve heard about? I can come close with the horns in the Roland library, but not quite this good.
    For those who don\'t know where the example is...it\'s http://www.keyboardmag.com/

Then go to FEATURES, and under \"H\" for Howard you\'ll see the MIDI and REAL Orchestrated demos. Thanks

Re: Best Advice for a French Horn Sample Like This...

That\'s the kind of horns everybody is screaming for. You won\'t find it in any commercial libraries. Not even the expensive Miroslav has that sound. As you hear in James Newton Howard\'s demo there\'s something strange with the velocity-switching in the horn part. He should have made a crossfade between those two layers. Even the fact that it\'s velocity-switched completely eliminates Miroslav as a possible origin. Miroslav features only two dynamics, MP (I think) and FF. The FF patch is nowhere near as FF as the upper velocity horns in that demo.
    So I\'m sorry, but to my knowledge such a patch does not exist commercially. Quite frankly I\'m not sure why you would want those horn samples anyway. They sound pretty flat and unexpressive. Still better than Miroslav, AO and QLB IMO. Haven\'t heard the Roland Library sounds though. Perhaps you could do a little demonstration of the horns trombones and trumpets in the Roland library for me, as I\'m thinking of buying it but cannot find any demos around. It\'s getting quite old as well. How does it compare to other brass sounds you have (access to)?

Thomas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    That\'s the kind of horns everybody is screaming for. You won\'t find it in any commercial libraries. Not even the expensive Miroslav has that sound. As you hear in James Newton Howard\'s demo there\'s something strange with the velocity-switching in the horn part. He should have made a crossfade between those two layers. Even the fact that it\'s velocity-switched completely eliminates Miroslav as a possible origin. Miroslav features only two dynamics, MP (I think) and FF. The FF patch is nowhere near as FF as the upper velocity horns in that demo.
    So I\'m sorry, but to my knowledge such a patch does not exist commercially. Quite frankly I\'m not sure why you would want those horn samples anyway. They sound pretty flat and unexpressive.
    Thomas
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info. I really can\'t imagine anyone calling these horns either of the adjectives you\'ve used here, but then, that\'s what makes horse races, as they say.
    If you think those horns sound inferior, I wouldn\'t waste listening to anything from Roland, although I find them useful. There are a few jazz trumpets of Roland\'s that are wonderful, but in general, the brass is spotty at best. Overall though, the Roland library is one of the deals of the century.

New french horns from vrsound.com!!

Solo french horn with \"elephants\"
    3 to 16 note interval slides. Muted and open, different mouth piece for upper range.

French horn ensemble:
    2 horns sames as solo.

Email me if you want to know more.
    franz@vrsound.com

Bothe are completed and available now!!

Hey that sounds interesting, Franz! Too bad there\'s only two horns in your \"ensemble\" program. You should have had 4 in my opinion. By \"slides\" I guess you mean glissandis? Are there any demos that we can listen to?

Thomas

Yes I noticed that as well. Seems like they\'ve mixed the two mp3\'s together for some reason. I still have the old mp3\'s without the problem, but I can\'t send them since I have no email app on this comp. I\'m sure someone else have them.

Thomas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gav:
    Ok, is it just me or is that MIDI demo (James Newton Howard) screwy. Why has no one commented on this. I know it\'s not my computer because I\'ve tried it on several.
    I think the link starts both the MIDI and the Real Orch mp3 at the same time or something. There\'s definately 2 instances of the cue going on which are 1 bar out of sync with each other. Very annoying.
    Gav
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I\'m not sure what you mean. I downloaded both files and can play each fine....

Ok, is it just me or is that MIDI demo (James Newton Howard) screwy. Why has no one commented on this. I know it\'s not my computer because I\'ve tried it on several.
    I think the link starts both the MIDI and the Real Orch mp3 at the same time or something. There\'s definately 2 instances of the cue going on which are 1 bar out of sync with each other. Very annoying.
    Gav

I had the same problem. Everything sounds great till the big string fanfare section, about 2/3 the way through, then its out of sync and horrible till 10 seconds from the end.

It plays screwy on my Realplayer as well. Sounds like there\'s a huge delay on everything. It used to sound great when the article first came out. I don\'t know what happened to it now.

Go Back to forum