• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL - More Solo string choices?

Share/Bookmark

VSL - More Solo string choices?

Hi everyone,

First time poster here and I have a question about the the Vienna Symphonic Library group of products.

I've been using the VSL Special Edition for a while now and although it sounds great, for what I need I'm finding the lack of extra instrument choices limiting. For instance, I'd like to layer different sounding solo violins to build a particular part using different violins such as what you can do in Garriton e.g. Solo Stradivari + Solo Gagliano + Solo Guarneri, then of course being able to choose between different instruments within these for first violin, second violin. Is this available in another bundle/instrument set with VSL that anyone knows of?

I should have done more research before I bought what I have, but I am happy to upgrade to Solo strings (say) if it's going to give me the above. Any recommendations/ideas?

I can't even get an answer out of VSL's own forum. Sales?!

Many thanks - Spall.

Re: VSL - More Solo string choices?

Quote Originally Posted by Spall View Post
    Hi everyone,

First time poster here and I have a question about the the Vienna Symphonic Library group of products.

I've been using the VSL Special Edition for a while now and although it sounds great, for what I need I'm finding the lack of extra instrument choices limiting. For instance, I'd like to layer different sounding solo violins to build a particular part using different violins such as what you can do in Garriton e.g. Solo Stradivari + Solo Gagliano + Solo Guarneri, then of course being able to choose between different instruments within these for first violin, second violin. Is this available in another bundle/instrument set with VSL that anyone knows of?

I should have done more research before I bought what I have, but I am happy to upgrade to Solo strings (say) if it's going to give me the above. Any recommendations/ideas?

I can't even get an answer out of VSL's own forum. Sales?!

Many thanks - Spall.
    Hi Spall,

layering sampled solo strings can be quite effective. I have used that method for a while, even in combination with live strings. There was a time when I recorded violins and violas live but added sampled solo celli and bassi. The solo strings I used were XSample solo strings, Kirk Hunter solo strings and the solo strings of EWQL platinum. Nice results.

Nowadays I am recording cello entirely live and bassi also with my cello plus an octaver. The result is much smoother, at the same time more defined, more musical. But layering many solo strings can definetely be an improvement over just using sampled string sections, so I would regard it as an intermediate step quality-wise.

However if you want to do it right it means individual work on every single voice. This method eats up your time (and your computer ressources) like nothing (recording live is much faster, may I say).

In order to answer your question: No, I don't think there are different solo strings in the VSL family. Look at the names I mentioned above for layering alternatives.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Re: VSL - More Solo string choices?

Hi Hannes,

Thanks for your reply. It is interesting to see how you approach things.

I also prefer live recording of strings and as you mention combining both sampled and live recorded together can sound quite good but with respect to VSL libraries, if what you say is correct then it seems a little odd that they wouldn't offer up varying instrument choices. To me, if you are layering individually performed sample passes then you need different sounding instruments otherwise the tone and shape of the sound starts to merge too quickly and fight for space. EWQL is a bit of a go-to for a lot of people, I think it's good for straight-up string sounds although Vienna is definitely more stripped back and perhaps natural. It sounds like I will have to explore others as you say, what a pity.

Certainly agree that workflow is important and layering takes up time but I generally attack them as if doing it live anyway with respect to getting good passes and if not, trash them and move forward so that once there I don't have to think about anything but creating the landscape.

Thanks again.
    Spall

Go Back to forum