• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: It's Time for the Garritan Orchestration Challenge #24

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb It's Time for the Garritan Orchestration Challenge #24

Hi Everyone,

As the winner of the Garritan Orchestration Challenge #23, I have the honor of setting the melody for the next Garritan Challenge. I've been intrigued by melodies which have the same note repeated multiple times and so have created a melody that reflects that pattern.

Here's the given melody:

You can find the melody MIDI file here:
    http://wizardwalk.com/OrchestrationC...GC24Melody.mid

You can find the melody MP3 file here:
    http://wizardwalk.com/OrchestrationC...GC24Melody.mp3

You can find a zip file containing all three of the above files here:
    http://www.box.net/shared/1dnab1ccap

I propose a deadline 8 weeks away, Monday, June 28, 2010 at 11:59PM in the time zone of your choice.

Please send your mp3 files to Sean Hannifin at seanthebest@gmail.com being sure to strip out any mp3 tags which would identify your work.

How does this sound to everyone?

Ken

Ken Weissman
    (RustyCrook)

[EDIT: Changed URLs to melody materials]
    [EDIT: Added email address for entries]
    Last edited by RustyCrook; 05-24-2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Added email address to use for sending entry.

Re: It's Time for the Garritan Orchestration Challenge #24

Hokey Dokey
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I've been waiting to get my hands on this... Now to just force my self to finish that brass quintet and history of music paper first... so... hard...

Edit: That stupid G# is going to give me some problems, as I keep wanting to hear it as a G natural. *sighs* Still, it's a nice melody for something like this. It's just about as simple as you can possibly get, and since it is so simple, VERY flexible. I can't wait to see how many very different variations we get on this. It's going to be fun to work with.

Okay, this should be interesting...

Looks interesting. I'm going to give it a shot. You never know how a cow catches a hare (yes, that's a literal translation).
    Theo

Gee, you guys work fast, just got back from vacation to find everything wrapped up!

Just pipped at the post, congratulations Ken, nice work.

Just wanted to thanks everyone who voted for my contribution (no 8) in the last challenge, and for the kind comments.

Good luck to everyone with this next challenge.

Best
    Ian

I assume the rules are basically the same as before ... but I'm too lazy to go searching for them. When we producing the given theme in recognizable form are we supposed to use the given tempo? Would it break the rules to use a radically different tempo?

Also, you've not only given us a theme, you've given us a concept: multiply repeated notes. Are we to include this as a central part of our work, even as we go off in our own directions?

(I say "we" as thought I were including myself. One never knows.)

Pat

Mine's done Ken.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

"...Mine's done Ken...." ! - Now that's what I like to see, confidence!

Very nifty Challenge theme, Ken. Thanks for it.

Pat, I can answer at least this part of your question - "... are we supposed to use the given tempo?..." Tempo has always been something that participants can have free range with. The key also can be anything you want. Those are variables that are determined by the arrangement, not by the thematic material itself.

IAN - Thank you for finally letting us know you did #8. The other thread had to be shut down prematurely, unfortunately, before we'd even heard from all the participants. As you can see from that thread, it was a complete toss up for most of us which to give our vote to - yours or Ken's. Superb work, my friend. Congratulations.

Have fun everyone - It's great we have Sean's Challenge event happening again.

Randy

Do we have to use only Garritan instruments, or can we mix them with others? I only have the ones that came with Finale, and I've found that just by mixing them with the free version of EWQLSO makes a HUGE difference with what I can do, and how good it sounds.

Go Back to forum