• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Soundcard quest

Share/Bookmark
    Power Profile User

Soundcard quest

Can someone suggest a good PCI soundcard for Windows 7
    I would also consider a USB soundcard. Anything has to sound better that the on-board card I have in my computer.

I have a relatively new Dell with the i7 Intel. 2.93GHz, 8 G of Ram and a 64 bit operating system.

any advice would be appreciated.

B. De Celle

Re: Soundcard quest

I'm using Creative X-Fi Titanium - Fatal1ty Champion Im a gamer so chose this card but it has hardware ASIO for runnning software synthesizers and not had any trouble with Omnisphere or Alicia's keys. It is a mini PCI-E slot card it can fit into a full size PCI-E slot too The older X-Fi cards used up too much bandwidth for PCI slot and had problems. It's latest drivers are solid for Windows 7 64bit.

To run in tripple channel mode your i7 computer should have 3,6, or 12 GB of ram or it will run in dual channel mode instead of tripple channel so you could get faster ram read speeds if you take a look at your ram setup. If your computer is an i5 then your ram is correct as the i5 is dual channel. Dual channel mode should be fast enough though.

Power Profile User

Thanks you Kaboom.

It looks like I'm out of luck with the Creative X-Fi Titanium since my i7 computer has only 8 gigs of Ram. I will look at my system and see if it's expandable. That card looks like a good suggestion and a good price. Thank you for the suggestion.

Bob De Celle

Your Welcome

The Xi-Fi card will be fine with your 8 GB of ram It will will run with a 2GB computer. All you need is a PCI-E mini or full size PCI-E slot available.

Info about your ram was a seperate topic that I thaught you should be aware of if you wanted to run the ram read speeds a bit faster but not needed really as dual channel mode is plenty.

One thing that is bad about that card is the box that goes at the front of your PC and connects to the sound card gets interference from the graphics card the soundcard itself has an EMI shield but the cable from the card to the box is useless so plugging a Mic or headhones into it will sound nasty. I plug my headphones direct into the soundcard at the back of my PC and no interference the front I/o drive box is just for show now.

Get this instead http://uk.store.creative.com/product...id=1&pid=17791 its the same card but without the usless front box thing.

I'm currently using an EMU 1212m card. It will work in Windows 7 if you use the Vista driver. There is a beta for Windows 7 drivers. This is more of a pro card which should have lower latency using ASIO drivers than the Creative cards.

Another one that is popular for PCI is the Echo Gina 3G.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bob De Celle View Post
    Can someone suggest a good PCI soundcard for Windows 7
    If you really want PCI, you should also consider the M-Audio Audiophile line, a very simple and reliable card. You can get one for well under $100. It has solid drivers for all Windows, and a longstanding good reputation. Sound is adequate professional quality, and it has a MIDI port.

I recently upgraded my motherboard and was pleased to see while shopping that PCI slots are DEFINITELY not yet disappearing from Intel or AMD boards, despite general fears. A PCI card offers trouble-free operation and less clutter. So, since we can evidently expect to use these for a few years more, PCI remains a good choice.

Power Profile User

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
    Your Welcome

The Xi-Fi card will be fine with your 8 GB of ram It will will run with a 2GB computer. All you need is a PCI-E mini or full size PCI-E slot available.

Info about your ram was a seperate topic that I thaught you should be aware of if you wanted to run the ram read speeds a bit faster but not needed really as dual channel mode is plenty.

One thing that is bad about that card is the box that goes at the front of your PC and connects to the sound card gets interference from the graphics card the soundcard itself has an EMI shield but the cable from the card to the box is useless so plugging a Mic or headhones into it will sound nasty. I plug my headphones direct into the soundcard at the back of my PC and no interference the front I/o drive box is just for show now.

Get this instead http://uk.store.creative.com/product...id=1&pid=17791 its the same card but without the usless front box thing.

Thank you so much Kaboom. I will look into that URL
    B.D.

Power Profile User

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    I'm currently using an EMU 1212m card. It will work in Windows 7 if you use the Vista driver. There is a beta for Windows 7 drivers. This is more of a pro card which should have lower latency using ASIO drivers than the Creative cards.

Another one that is popular for PCI is the Echo Gina 3G.

Jim
    More great information. Thank you Haydn.
    B.D.

Power Profile User

Quote Originally Posted by lallis View Post
    If you really want PCI, you should also consider the M-Audio Audiophile line, a very simple and reliable card. You can get one for well under $100. It has solid drivers for all Windows, and a longstanding good reputation. Sound is adequate professional quality, and it has a MIDI port.

I recently upgraded my motherboard and was pleased to see while shopping that PCI slots are DEFINITELY not yet disappearing from Intel or AMD boards, despite general fears. A PCI card offers trouble-free operation and less clutter. So, since we can evidently expect to use these for a few years more, PCI remains a good choice.
    I actually have an Audiophile card in an old computer, the 2492, I think, but I'm not sure if the drivers are updated for Windows 7. I will look into that too.
    Thanks you all so much.

B.D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob De Celle View Post
    I actually have an Audiophile card in an old computer,
    the 2492, I think, but I'm not sure if the drivers are updated for Windows 7. I will look
    into that too. Thanks you all so much.

B.D.
    Its model number is probably 2496. although there is a more advanced one one called 192, for its higher bitrate capability.

As I said above, excellent drivers are provided for ALL WINDOWS, including Win 7. I use these cards, and I know from experience that the latest drivers are good indeed: You want drivers 5.10.0.5074 from the M-Audio site.

Your choice has made itself. Dig that Audiophile out and re-use it, for a very decent no-cost solution. For musicians, it is much superior to any mickey-mouse SoundBlaster.

Go Back to forum