• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Symphony of Voices

Share/Bookmark

Symphony of Voices

So...... Omnisphere, Trillian and Stylus RMX work quite well with my Pro Tools 8 LE. They show up as plug in's on the channel and the MIDI I/O is easily accessed.

What about Symphony Of Voices? I see it is Akai/Emu,Roland compatible. Does that mean it only loads into those keyboards or hardware samplers? Will it show up in my PT 8 inserts as a plug in that can be triggered via MIDI just like Omnisphere, Trillian and others?

I have been asked by a designer on 24 to do some music for a short Indie film he is producing and directing. He has a composer but would like some sound design stuff from me.

I am pretty covered with my Spectrasonics libraries, but I would love to have SOV for it's way broader range of voice samples than what is in Omnisphere.

I do have a Roland PC-300 keyboard controller and also Sibelius 5.

So will I be able to get SOV and use it given my current Pro Tools LE setup or will it have to load into a sampler?

On a related level, would it behoove me to go with Logic if I get more into writing film music? I love my Pro Tools and know it quite well but it does not seem to play nice with 3rd Party VI's all the time. They seem to use a lot of CPU and latency is a drag with RTAS.

Thanks.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

Re: Symphony of Voices

A lot of the SOV patches are actually available in Omnisphere. Check out all the voice patches before you splurge on SOV... the additional purchase may not be necessary!

Kerry

Okay....I will thanks. I have been waiting for a chance to spend more time with my VI's. I have been finishing up a bunch of years working on 24 and we are now into the final stages of clearing out. The show is toast. After we finish the final tear down I will hopefully be a free man again for a while...LOL!!

Is Omnisphere almost the same as SOV in terms of content size?

I guess what is appealing is that SOV is just voices. No having to wade through other samples. Although Omni is very good in terms of files etc.

I was just trying to get Garritan and J&BB to load using K2. Awful!!! I have the Aria player download somewhere. Hoping to use the time today to do all the upgrades.

The price tag of SOV is hard for me right now so as you say I should spend time looking to see if there are Omni patches I can use until I really need to go big.

Thanks.
    2.66GHz MacPro Quad|6GB RAM|OSX10.6.4| 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro|4GB RAM|OSX 10.6.4|Pro Tools 9 w/CPTK|Digi 002R, Eleven Rack, MBox2 Mini|Garritan-GPO4, J&BB| Reason 4|Spectrasonics-Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian|Drumcore3, Discrete Drums|Toontrack-Superior Drummer, EZ Drummer|Sibelius 6|Izotope-Ozone4, RX2|String Studio|EastWest-Silk, VOP, Symphonic Choirs, RA, Gypsy, Stormdrum2, Fab Four|Reaper|

AFAIK the only thing from SOV that didnt make it into Omnisphere are about 99% of the phrases.
    All the multisampled playable sounds are included in Omnisphere.
    You could convert the samples on SOV to WAV and use the phrases on regular audiotracks in your DAW.

Hans I was curious about the moveable vowels as well.

So are you saying one can use the phrases as recorded? In other words the library is all audio....phrases, single vowels and notes in one of those formats?

So is it not really a library of sampled sounds that you access via MIDI?

As Eric reported quite awhile ago "Basically all of the playable multisamples, ambiences and FX from SOV, Vocal Planet, HZ1+2, DR1+2, and Bizarre Guitar are included...and some previously unreleased material from those libraries as well. With a couple of exceptions, the phrase material is not included, since that material makes more sense to use in a sampler. A library like VP is primarily phrases and a library like SOV is primarily multisamples." HTH.........playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Thanks. I appreciate it.

I started a session writing a moody Omnisphere cue and all of a sudden got these bursts of distortion while I was in the Edit window adjusting some volume stalks......scared the poop out of me the first time.

I tried, closing and reopening Omni...same... closing and reopening Pro Tools....same... restarting my computer....same..... switching from Eleven Rack to 002 Rack as my hardware interface......same, no help. Random, intermittent distortion.

I closed out and started a new session, no midi, no Omnisphere.... just a nylon guitar mic'd. Same deal.

I am steps away from tossing Pro Tools 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Lister Coleman View Post
    Hans I was curious about the moveable vowels as well.

So are you saying one can use the phrases as recorded? In other words the library is all audio....phrases, single vowels and notes in one of those formats?

So is it not really a library of sampled sounds that you access via MIDI?
    you would need to convert SOV from Akai or Roland to WAV.
    The phrases are great but they only represent a small part of SOV and you already have all the playable rest in Omni. So unless you REALLY need a particular phrase from SOV and budget is not an issue..........
    and i also doubt that SOV is still available.

Hans, re. "and i also doubt that SOV is still available."

c/o: http://www.ilio.com/spectrasonics/sy...ices/index.htm

Cheers........frank
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

pretty remarkable considering the fact that it was released in 97 and the hardware to use it with has been discontinued for about 6-7 years now!

Go Back to forum