• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Eternal Darkness

Share/Bookmark

Eternal Darkness

Here's a piece I started yesterday. I was just in a 'moody mood' and this piece came out. It will probably be part of an orchestral suite of moods.

I call this one: Eternal Darkness

Have a listen (mild dissonance - very mild)

best regards,
    Bill

We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Eternal Darkness

Very nice! While definitely you, there are parts I would have attributed to late Vaughn Williams (like in his last 3 symphonies) if I'd heard it out of the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    (mild dissonance - very mild)
    Very mild, indeed.

Pat

At first I thought of something creepy, looking at the title, but this very mild music for eternal darkness. It gives the mood of lonelyness.

Nice piece,

Raymond

Pat, thanks for the listen. It is very mild and yes, now that you mentioned it reflective of Vaughn Williams (though I suspect he is a bit better - bit = much much more). Thanks for the listen.

Raymond, I equate eternal darkness to eternal loneliness - so I guess my inner bing is climbing out again, better keep him done in the dungeon where he brlongs. Thanks for the listen.

best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

I liked it. I'm not very familiar with Vaughn-Williams, but I remember his music a bit sweeter . However, the texture and the development do sound English to me (as opposed to e.g. French or German), but also a bit Russian-ish. The whole piece is quite lively for something so dark, and I liked the use of the woodwinds. It sort of suggests darkness moving. Good job!
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    I'm not very familiar with Vaughn-Williams, but I remember his music a bit sweeter ...
    Late Vaughn Williams (no hyphen for whatever reason ) - like in his 7th, 8th, and 9th symphonies - doesn't sound particularly sweet (or English to my ears). In fact, some of his earlier works don't sound very sweet or English, either. Not "modern", but definitely with post-romantic dissonances, etc.

Pat

The Eternal Darkness has become a prelude to a Symphonic Poem for my next book. This is the eveolved piece after discussing it with my mentor:

Eternal Darkness version 2

Listen and see what you think (This is not an engineering debate, I don't engineer, I compose.)

Enjoy

Comments welcome (good or bad - just don't download and forget -really bugs me).

Best,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Now that was cold and chilling. It sparkles and has an ominous feel to it. This version has a better orchestral clarity to it. I can hear each orchestral member and how they blend and work together.

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I listened so I guess I'd better say something or incur Bill's wrath.
    I liked it before; I still like it. As near as I can tell the changes were pretty subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Now that was cold and chilling. ...
    When I said it reminded me of Vaughn Williams I was specifically thinking of his Symphony #7 - "Sinfonia antartica". I haven't heard that symphony for over 40 years so my memory of it is pretty shaky, but I think the parts of Eternal Darkness without the driving rhythm are very much like the symphony. The wind machine could crank up at any minute.

Unfortunately, that means what I feel when listening to Eternal Darkness is probably worlds away from what Bill feels. Sorry Bill; I don't know how to undo that.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    Unfortunately, that means what I feel when listening to Eternal Darkness is probably worlds away from what Bill feels. Sorry Bill; I don't know how to undo that. Pat

Ah, what a composer thinks - strange but I wish I knew. Most often the music flows out and the title or the 'feeling/emotion' creeps out in the music development. I have called it Eternal Darkness for it will be a prelude to the Symphonic Portraits I am constructing to go along with my second book of the "Reach Beyond Tomorrow" trilogy (available at Amazon.com - sorry, couldn't resist the plug.)

I feel it is more important that the listener feels/hears and is stirred by the music. Since the book will have a 'combative' element, the use of the harsh military cadence was introduced into the void of existence in this eternal darkness. To understand more, you would have to read the book, which is not done.

I use the music to allow literary creativity to put the spirit of the music into prose. It helps focus my thoughts as to what the action/dialogue/scene is that I am writing about.

Thanks for the re-listen Pat. And Rich, thanks also for the comments. You have a knack (hmm, I wonder why) of getting to the point of the matter.

Best,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast