Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Huge Compliment by Thomas_J

Share/Bookmark

Huge Compliment by Thomas_J

Thomas_J:
    \"... just a complaint to all of you who make libraries without the proper
    competence, solely for profit. Take www.vrsound.com\'s string library
    ...sounds like an amateur teens string orchestra, at best. Its proper
    library name should be \"Amateur Youth String Orchestra\". \"Guaranteed to make
    you cringe at the very thought\". It is obvious to me that either they are
    going for the quick bucks, or they have no idea what they are doing. \"

This is the biggest compliment anybody has ever given to my sounds!!!
    Yes they really sound like musicians playing!!! even to the expert!!!

Wow!!

Re: Huge Compliment by Thomas_J

Franz... Nice try....

Okey, time for me to stop by and respond.

I\'ve been listening to this piece 3 times now, and it sounds quite real. So definitely thumbs up for that! I just don\'t see the use of having a sample library with a bunch of kids playing. Hilarious! Now, I haven\'t been able to find out how much you\'re charging for this library, but if it\'s less than $100 it\'s prolly an ok deal, given you into masochism :P

1:11 - 1:15 (sounds like the \"musician\" is stuttering - I picture a stuttering 15 year old with braces, glasses, red hair and freckles

Thomas

[This message has been edited by Thomas_J (edited 08-08-2001).]

I\'m very interested in this because I listened to the demo and found myself defending someone (it turned out to be Thomas_j) who had \'panned\' it.

Franz has a point - a very strange point - but nevertheless, I\'d like to know exactly what\'s going on here. As I said in another post, the demo IS my old school (primary school) orchestra. It really does sound \'real\'.

So what\'s going on? Do we have someone who \'taped\' a bunch of kids playing out of tune, or do we have a master sampler who happens to be tone deaf and hires drunk musicians.

I\'m not being nasty. If you listen to the demo you\'ll get the picture.

What on earth is going on? Why did you do this?

Mastersampler... deaf... sounds not in tune - is this some kind of very elaborated Mozart joke perhaps?

Oh well, i might as well come clean here!
    This is not an orchestra but only a quintett.
    2 violins 1 viola 1 cello 1 bass.
    Eine kleine Nachtmusik was written for Chamber Quintett. Of course the pitch sounds better when 12 violins play (each of them slightly out of tune) the same notes.
    I played the different parts into my sequencer without quantisation (first time I ever did this with solo string samples).
    Thomas_J\'s reaction has completely proven my point that it is possible to create an arrangemnet so convincingly real that you want to walk over and slap the violinst!
    fact is that fretless stringed instruments are inherently pitchy. We really don\'t know what the tuning was in Mozart\'s days because Hertz was not born yet. And back then it might have sounded even worst than that.

you want better pitch add musicians! I think that is the exact reason why orchestras came to be!

In the mean time I have several people working on finding a tuning for these samples that will work for most applications. Violinsts tell me the higher octaves have to be sharp, MIDI orchetrators want evrything on pitch... and I have run into several other opinions.
    Bottom line, these samples are very realistic and once all the pitch issues are resolved they will offer a unique orchestration tool.

In May, I spent some time in Wolfgangs bedroom and meditated there. he is OK with it. W.A. forgive me!

Thanks for reading,
    franZ

Originally posted by franz:
    \"it is possible to create an arrangemnet so convincingly real that you want to walk over and slap the violinst!...
    We really don\'t know what the tuning was in Mozart\'s days because Hertz was not born yet. And back then it might have sounded even worst than that.

...Violinsts tell me the higher octaves have to be sharp, MIDI orchetrators want evrything on pitch... \"

These are very realistsic indeed! (Working composers don\'t always need pristene playing - movie scene with kids playing, for example).

I do think we have a pretty good idea of the tunings in Mozart\'s day - regardless of the lack of Mr. Hertz to further quantify what the ancient Greeks had a good shot at - Mozart would have clubbed this quintet to death! :-)

Never believe anything a violinist tells you. When 99.999% of the world\'s violinists play high up the fingerboard they break out in a cold sweat (and you don\'t want to check the contents of their underwear after they play \'the high octaves\' in public). It\'s the key you\'re in and the exact sound you want that counts. (\'ethnic\' variants notwithstanding)

These samples are realistic and you should be applauded for that (Now, after me; doh, a deer a female deer..) Just kidding.

If you can get these things in tune you have a winner on your hands. And if you include the \'outa\' tune ones as well it\'ll make the library a lot more usable, realistic, and interesting (but perhaps a bit less \'outa\' tune than that).

:-)

Tune up those samples Franz and they will indeed be a realistic string collecton to have! If you don\'t quantize the notes on your sequencer for your demo, come as close to the metronom click as possible so it sounds tighter as well.

franz your library is cool.when these tune problems fixed will be a best seller for sure.

Franz, if you would like to hear an original piece I did with solo strings and woodwinds using Miroslav solo instruments, check this out:
    http://www.traxinspace.com/Music/Songs/Download.asp?SongID=58447

If a stupid popup screen comes up, X it out and the page will be underneath. Just hit \'download now\' to listen. It only about 1:31 seconds long. The cello is extremely weak in it, so I had to compensate with Dan Deans great cello pizzicato for some low end. If you get your samples in tune, I would love to rewrite the demo using your solo strings.

[This message has been edited by Damon (edited 08-11-2001).]

Go Back to forum