• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Omnisphere Update changes Master Volume!

Share/Bookmark

Careful:Omnisphere Update may change Master Volume!

Putting the default Master fader at -0.05 db is a good idea, so that it doesn't overload in our DAWs, but I've noticed that when I pull up instances of Omnisphere from before the update, the fader has been changed from 0 to -0.05! Not only that, but when I command click it to put it at 0, a second later it has reverted back to -0.05 db!

I know it's a tiny, tiny difference, but it does mean that if I want to rebounce something that was done before the update, the signal level is not exactly the same Command clicking should definitely override this new feature, and instances of Omni/Trilian that were at 0 db before 1.2 should stay at 0 db

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7...stervolume.png

but of course thank you for the wonderful instrument and all the new patches!

Can't wait for the 1.3 updates for Omni and Trilian, they look brilliant.

Re: Omnisphere Update changes Master Volume!

Omnisphere doesn't alter, change, effect, modify, or control the master level volume. Only you do.

If you save a song with a master volume at a certain level, restoring will restore it to that same level. Note that clicking on a slider can, and often does, alter the setting for a parameter after you cmd-click to set it to the default. I suspect that's what you're doing.

- Glenn

I use a trackball mouse so I know I am definitely not moving the slider once it is clicked ...

After command clicking the fader to 0 db, if I click it again a moment later to check, it has reverted back to 0.05 db. I noticed the same thing happening with Trilian, also with the Part faders. I guess it's a bug, not an intended feature. This is also without any midi keyboards attached or automation that could change the parameters.

Omnisphere doesn't alter, change, effect, modify, or control the master level volume. Only you do. If you save a song with a master volume at a certain level, restoring will restore it to that same level.

Note that clicking on a slider can, and often does, alter the setting for a parameter when done immediately after you cmd-click to set it to the default. That is what you're doing.

- Glenn

I am triple checking here, and if I had snow leopard I could do a screen recording to show you ... Omnisphere is putting the master fader at -0.05 for any Omnisphere I pull up, whether new, imported from another session, inactive since before 1.2 was installed, etc.

Command clicking without moving the trackball has is it display 0 db, immediately clicking it again displays 0.05 db.

Moving the mouse while command clicking will not move the fader from 0 db, I can drag the mouse all the way to the left, and if command is held down, the fader won't turn down an at all, it will stay at 0. Until I check it again, and it's back to -0.05

Again, this happens when the mouse does not move at all, I'm using a trackball.
    Mac Pro "Xeon" 2.8 gHz 8 core - Mac OS 10.5.8 - 6 gb RAM - Pro Tools HD 8.0cs3

The problem is you are checking the value of the level by modifying it (see my earlier posts). If you measure the signal output levels, you will see they are unchanged.

Could you please edit the title of this thread so nobody gets the impression that is true? Or at least change it from a statement to a question. Thanks.

- Glenn

Ok one more time ...

This is happening without me touching the track ball AT ALL. I am using one finger to click the fader.

If I have the fader at a random value such as -10.9 db, then clicking and releasing repeatedly will not change the value at all. But command clicking to 0, letting go, and clicking again shows that it changes to -0.05 db.

I can do the same thing to the timbre slider, the part faders in Omnisphere, or anything else, and after command clicking, it stays at the default value. The mouse is working perfectly with all these other parameters.

Also, I've just discovered that completely new instances of Omnisphere and Trilian have a default master fader level of -0.24 db. This is consistent with every new instance, and command clicking will put it at -0.05 just the same.

In Trilian, the part faders all default to -0.05 db and command clicking has the same problem as with the master fader. This is happening only sometimes with the Omnisphere part faders. I'm noticing that it happens with the part faders on the edit page, but not on the Multi Mixer page.

I have a question, with respect, do you work for Spectrasonics?

By clicking on fader, you are modifying it, not checking it. That is a consequence of the finite nature of the on-screen fader. Not all imaginable values between -inf dB and 9.54 dB correspond to a pixel position of the on-screen fader. Clicking on the fader immediately after setting it to the default is a special case where the new position dictates a new value for the parameter because the default value does not correspond to a pixel position.

But here is the important point: If you measure the signal output levels, you will see they are unchanged between versions.

Yes, I am the Glenn on the credits page of Spectrasonics instruments.

Once again, could you please edit the title of this thread to change it from a statement to a question? Thanks.

- Glenn

So how am I supposed to check the value of a parameter? And why does this only happen to certain parameters? And why is it ALWAYS -0.05 db, no matter where I click on the fader (middle, left, right, etc). Why did it not used to do this before the update? Why are new instances opening up at -0.24 db?

If you're saying that by clicking the fader, I am changing the output to -0.05 db, then why are you saying that the signal output level will be exactly the same as before? Shouldn't I be able to look at a value and know that it is how I set it?

I tried to change the title before, it just changed the title of the first post. I will try again.

For anyone reading this thread, here is a summary:

1) The Omnisphere 1.2 update does not change the master volume. If you saved a song with a previous version, the level will be the same when restored with a newer version.
    2) The Omnisphere controls do not display current parameter values. They only show values as you are modifying them.
    3) Offering a feature where you can display a parameter value without modifying it is a good idea, and we'll look into that for a future update.
    4) Be careful about jumping to conclusions :-).

- Glenn

Go Back to forum