• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: VSL Choir.... and the verdict is.....

Share/Bookmark

VSL Choir.... and the verdict is.....

... it is with a heavy heart that I have to tell you that VSL are NOT perfect and are indeed human.

This may come as a shock to you... it did to me. I have everything that VSL have ever produced and 100% across the board their samples are the best. I have ALL of the other big libraries (which are all great in their own way!) but it's only the VSL libraries that warrant still keeping their own dedicated multiple slave machines.

What I'm trying to say is.. I'm a fan.. a BIG fan.

And then along came the Choirs.

I ignored the mutterings... I ordered the day they were released... "VSL have never let me down before" I thought...

Well... I wouldn't say that the library is a let down... but it's really not the huge step forward that VSL libraries normally are. Usually they are SO much better than the competition, but here, for some reason, it just doesn't really seem to work.

Admittedly I've only had chance to play with it for a few hours so far, and really WANT to be proved wrong... I WANT to be writing a message in a weeks time telling you what an idiot I am, and that it's an amazing library once you get into the nitty gritty... but for the first time, I REALLY can't see that being the case.

The general tone is pure, restrained... but never exciting. The legato patches (that we ALL want!) are okish but never QUITE convincing, the gliss patches work well on some transitions but sound appalling on others. You get the idea..

It's not that it's a bad library... it's just that we ALL expect that bit more from VSL and here it just hasn't happened. QLSC suffers the same KIND of problems but just seems a bit more playable and has the Wordbuilder card which, as long as you don't want it to sound COMPLETELY authentic can still add a realistic sense of movement.

I'm a long time user and so got the advantage of the "Get the Extended library free" offer (which they normally run, and for that, I love them!) but I have to say, if I wasn't, and was looking at my first choir library, i don't really know if I could recommend paying £750 for this library. I've never EVER questioned the thousands of pounds that I've spent on VSL libraries, and recommend them to everybody, but on this occasion I'm not so sure.

Later on in the year there are a couple of new big choir libraries coming, (one is from Bela D Media, who produce great libraries) and so I hope that one of THOSE will take us that next step into choral nirvana!!

With VSL Choirs it's more a case of "nice choir samples" rather than "I've a real choir at my fingertips!!!"

Hope this helps anybody sitting on the "Virtual Choir" fence at the moment!!

Re: VSL Choir.... and the verdict is.....

Hmmm, I think you just need some more time with it.
    Admittedly you've already said that you've "only had chance to play with it for a few hours so far."

Over on the VI forum, there are comments from some people that have had the library for months and they are only coming to grips with it just now. And these are seasoned PROs that have been doing this sort of thing day in and day out, for years.

Any real or virtual instrument takes time to learn.
    And the human voice is the most nuanced of any instrument created.

Hi Ty.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been sitting on the fence with this one, wanting to take the plunge but not really being overly impressed by the demos.

Hey Ben, I think you'll find that Ty too is a seasoned pro. With a list of credits as long as your arm there are few more 'pro' than him.

Cheers.

Nick

...fantastic, at least from this die hard "heavily invested in VSL" fan.

Check out the slew of new demos here http://vsl.co.at/en/211/442/1766/1767/1795/1413.htm
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

Sorry about that Ty. I have any idea what your credentials are.

Still, I have heard some good demos starting to emerge of the library. Which suggests to me that perhaps it is possible to make it sound good, but that there is also a learning curve involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    Over on the VI forum, there are comments from some people that have had the library for months
    Hmm! Where did you get that bit of info? Jay Bacal and I where the first in the universe to get the library, which was a few weeks ago only, and we had submitted demos a few days after.

But it is true, there is some adaptation needed, as any VSL lib to be more efficient.

Here a more recent Vienna Choir demo featuring many aspects of the library.

Choral Rhapsody

Guy

Also many others on the updated VSL demo page including a Daphnis and Chloe excerpt.

Quote Originally Posted by guyB View Post
    Hmm! Where did you get that bit of info? Jay Bacal and I where the first in the universe to get the library, which was a few weeks ago only, and we had submitted demos a few days after.
    Sorry Guy, I was under the impression that you guys had been Beta testing it for a bit longer.

My mistake.

As I said in my OP I really want to be proved wrong on this one and really look forward to getting to grips with this library.... All I was doing was posting an "initial reaction" and comparing it to my previous VSL purchases.

Thanks for your kind words Nick... I am indeed a seasoned pro and this is all I do 20 hours a day, 7 days a week.. but I think this may be part of the problem for me with this library.

Because I have to produce so much music I really need libraries that are quick to work with and I just get the impression that you WILL be able to get some great stuff out of this library but with a LOT of work. The effort involved is not a problem but it's the TIME to do it which is sadly a issue for me! :-(

Anyway.... JMO!!

Ty

Personally, it doesn't take me less or more time than working with a string library. Of course you have to invest some time at the beginning to test it out, but that's like any other library, no? It also depends what kind of music you're doing, if your doing more chordal music, that goes very fast, if your piece is more contrapuntal, then it is normal that you will need to take more time to refine it.

I dunno. The demos I heard sound oddly synthetic to my ear. They also have a tonal 'same-iness' which I guess one should expect, but since as I said, the basic timbre is not appealing (especially the sopranos... they almost sound like a DX-7 choir patch at times) it exaggerates that feeling for me.

Sorry. I know what the op means... I have lusted after various VSL libs for years because the mock ups I've heard are just so great sounding. But -these- demos? Nicht so great.

Sorry. Just callin' 'em as I hear 'em.

---JC

PS: Where's the wordbuilder? Am I missing something?

Go Back to forum