• Register
  • Help

Topic: Leos Janacek: String Quartet #2, "Intimate Letters", 1st mvmnt

Share/Bookmark

Leos Janacek: String Quartet #2, "Intimate Letters", 1st mvmnt

Hi everyone,

I have again taken one of my favorite music pieces and have tried to "play" it in my own personal interpretation. Well, that is, making a sequence and producing a "rendition".

This is from Leos Janacek's fabulous string quartet #2 "Intimate Letters" the first movement. I had started on this back in 1995 as a standard MIDI sequence, then gave it a long break.

This February, while completing the Mahler recording, I began reworking this piece using the Garritan Personal Orchestra 4.

Here is the first result:
    http://www.virtualphilharmonic.co.uk/Janacek_SQ2M1.php

Reinhold

Re: Leos Janacek: String Quartet #2, "Intimate Letters", 1st mvmnt

The sound is not very realistic (and it's rather soft, in particular the higher cello register), but your interpretation is a good one. Very musical. It does sound like a live performance. The articulation of the longer notes is very natural, and the tempo too.

As far as string quartets are concerned, I think you've got 99% of what GPO has to offer, or a little bit more. The only point where I thought you could have used it a bit better, was at the fast repetition of two notes. I think you're using the "auto up/down" keyswitch there, but since there are two notes, every time the first note is repeated, you hear the same sample. You might overcome it by manually picking up and down, but that's nitpicking, and I might be wrong.

A fine job.
    Theo

Re: Leos Janacek: String Quartet #2, "Intimate Letters", 1st mvmnt

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    The sound is not very realistic (and it's rather soft, in particular the higher cello register), but your interpretation is a good one. Very musical. It does sound like a live performance. The articulation of the longer notes is very natural, and the tempo too.

As far as string quartets are concerned, I think you've got 99% of what GPO has to offer, or a little bit more. The only point where I thought you could have used it a bit better, was at the fast repetition of two notes. I think you're using the "auto up/down" keyswitch there, but since there are two notes, every time the first note is repeated, you hear the same sample. You might overcome it by manually picking up and down, but that's nitpicking, and I might be wrong.

A fine job.
    Thanks a lot, Theo!

yes, these fast trills are problematic. In some cases I used that auto-up/down, in others I actually did manually play both notes separately. I will have to experiment with this a bit more.

The overall softness is probably because of the lush reverb... I should reduce this a bit to make the sounds clearer. Will have to listen to the high cello, to see what I can do there.

Thanks for your opinion!

Go Back to forum