• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and expressions in Finale 2009

Share/Bookmark

GPO and expressions in Finale 2009

This question should probably have occurred to me about a year ago. Now that it has finally entered my head I'm struggling to make sense of it.

Finale comes with dynamic expressions programmed to use velocity e.g. mf is defined as 'Key Velocity = 75'. Now, in GPO only the non-sustaining instruments use velocity to affect volume, while the sustaining instruments use CC 1 for volume, and velocity to alter the initial attack.

So my question is how come the standard Finale dynamic expressions appear to affect the volume of the GPO sustaining instruments? As a supplementary question, does it make sense to create a separate set of dynamic expressions based on CC 1 for use with the sustaining instruments?

Steve S.

Re: GPO and expressions in Finale 2009

Assuming you have Human Playback turned on the dynamic markings work for sustaining and non-sustaining alike.

You are correct about the way both sets of instruments work, however Finale by default uses controller 7 (volume) to control the volume of sustaining instruments. Apparently that was something MakeMusic requested in the design of Human Playback. You can, however change that to use CC1. Also as your post indirectly points out velocity affects the timbre of sustaining instruments as well.

So the good news is you don't have to create an extra set of expressions at all. Just make sure HumanPlayback is turned on.

Steve Winkler

Re: GPO and expressions in Finale 2009

Quote Originally Posted by ssilverm View Post
    This question should probably have occurred to me about a year ago. Now that it has finally entered my head I'm struggling to make sense of it.

Finale comes with dynamic expressions programmed to use velocity e.g. mf is defined as 'Key Velocity = 75'. Now, in GPO only the non-sustaining instruments use velocity to affect volume, while the sustaining instruments use CC 1 for volume, and velocity to alter the initial attack.

So my question is how come the standard Finale dynamic expressions appear to affect the volume of the GPO sustaining instruments? As a supplementary question, does it make sense to create a separate set of dynamic expressions based on CC 1 for use with the sustaining instruments?

Steve S.
    Hello Steve,

Just to check and clarify. Are you using the 'Notation' set of intruments in Finale and not the 'Standard' set? The 'Notation' set has been specifically prepared to work correctly in Finale.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum