• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Need some help on Strings librairies plz

Share/Bookmark

Need some help on Strings librairies plz

Hello Everyone,

(Hope I'm in the good forum to ask this question, really sorry if not)

I've been using GPO4 since couple of months and I actually really love that librairie. I like the fact to use the modwheel to make the instruments expressive, the way we can really build our own orchestra and also the fact that we have complete orchestra for a very reasonable price ! I think GPO is also the best way to really learn orchestration like I'm currently doing, and I find Gary did a great job with that program.

Anyway, I have to say that, even if I really love GPO4, I'm still disappointed about the way the strings sound, and I would like to enlarge my sound librairies with some other more realistic strings sounds.

So here it is, I have around 500 Euros (I think it's about 600/650$ ?) to get this new librairie. So I made a search on the web, and looked at every librairies I could find, and I found this one, I think lot of people may know :

String Essentials 2nd Edition from Peter Siedlaczek

I heard some demos and I really like what I heard. Most of all, I could tried it on the site trysound.com (really great site by the way!), and I'm pretty sure that's the good one for me and according to my budget. But I still have some questions I'd like to ask to people who actually are using this librairie :

- I think it's been released in 2007 if I'm not wrong.
    Is it still available ? I mean can we still buy it ?
    Is it old librairie, obsolete compared to other librairies ? because in my mind it sounds really great for the price.

- When I tried it on trysound.com, I only saw the first violin section. Is it normal there's no 2nd violin section ? If yes, how to deal with that ?

- I would be very interested to hear some homemade demos from users

My last question : Did I miss one librairie (according to my budget) that could be interesting ?

Thanks in advance ! Any help would be very appreciated, because here in France, this librairie is not really well known, so no one can help me !

Best Regards,
    Charles.

Re: Need some help on Strings librairies plz

You might check out Cinematic Strings. I have them for about a month now and really enjoying them.. Also Kirk Hunter has some new strings that sound nice also. They will be in your price range also. Best, Joseph

Charles,

I went through a similar process a couple of months ago, looking for an alternative to the GPO strings.

I agree with Mech about Kirk Hunter. The new Concert Strings II is a very nice package, but a bit more than your budget at $799US (about 600 Euros). It also requires Kontakt 3 or 4. The EXS version is on sale now (I think) for quite a bit less.

String libs like this are quite powerful, with several bowing styles and a wide range of parameters, and, as a consequence, require some detailed programming to get the most out of them, unlike GPO, which has a much simpler implementation. With CSII you get solos, plus sections of 4, 8 and 16 instruments for Vlns, Vlas, Vlcs, and KBs (I and II for each instrument), dynamically switchable, auto-divisi, and a few other nice features.

To take full advantage of this library (IMO) really requires a 64-bit address space--each instrument can eat up quite a bit of memory. You can do it with less, but it's more tedious to get it set up.

The sound is very good. Check their demos.
    Bill

Hi and thanks a lot to both of you for the repplies !

To Joseph :

I checked out Cinema Strings, and it seems to be great product ! The demos are pretty good. However, there's not much informations on the website, about articulations, sections etc ... Moreover, it seems we can not buy the "standart" version, only the "pro" version.

If you have any homemade demos, I'd be glad to hear some of your works with Cinema Strings !

To Bill :

I already heard about Kirk Hunter. I read so many good feedbacks about this librairie, but I'm very disapointed about the demos I heard on their website. So I'm very confused about it. One good point, we can buy separate sections.
    I wish I could hear some user's demos !

Anyway, I'm still hoping some users of String Essentials 2nd Edition from Peter Siedlaczek could help me about my inquiry, and perhaps share some works with that librairie.

Thanks again

Best Regards,
    Charles.

In my opinion, String Essentials is one of the libraries which is very underrated. The sound is lovely, and quality of the samples is very consistent (which second to none except VSL perhaps).
    It is Kontakt library. So, you can create your own patches, if you want.

I do recommend this for those who want to upgrade string sounds, but do not have expensive PC/Mac to run.
    Kentaro Sato (Ken-P)
    Composer/Conductor/Orchestrator
    www.wisemanproject.com

Sato-san, very impressive bio...and you are still so young! I'm sure many of us are honored to have someone of your caliber visiting this web site and sharing your expertise with us. It just goes to prove that one often never knows how talented or untalented a respondent on a forum actually is, since identities often remain a mystery..................frank
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

I would suggest to go to VSL SE. You'll get a very nice complete package, not only strings, but also woodwinds (which is excellent), brass, percussion, harp, and piano.
    Cinematic strings is also very good I think, though I don't have any experience of using it.

String essentials is actually pretty good also, I really like the sound of the strings, but it could be very hard to mix. I had a friend who uses this and the mixing engineer had problems to mix the strings with the rest of the tracks.

Hello Ken-P,

Thanks for your repply.

As you seem to know well this librairie, I may think that you own it. If you actually do, I have a question if you don't mind :

I tried the librairie many times on trysound.com, and I noticed there is no 2nd violins section. How to deal with that ?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
    Charles.

PS : very impressed too by your bio ! I noticed you're the composer of "Wings of tomorrow" for GPO contest, I like it !
    You do really great work

Hello Hendyb,

Thanks for your comment.

I knew VSL Librairies, but I did not even think of it because of the really high price. But I checked on the web for VSL Special Edition, and I can't believe my eyes ! A VSL librairie only for 330$ ! I didn't know about that.

Thanks for sharing this information. Now I think I will reconsider my choice !

Best Regards,
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Ken-P View Post
    In my opinion, String Essentials is one of the libraries which is very underrated. The sound is lovely, and quality of the samples is very consistent (which second to none except VSL perhaps).
    It is Kontakt library. So, you can create your own patches, if you want.

I do recommend this for those who want to upgrade string sounds, but do not have expensive PC/Mac to run.
    little offtopic but:
    What you think about
    Complete Classical Collection 2nd Edition - Peter Siedlaczek.
    ps. i think have some nice sounds and why i ask in this thread? becouse there is one people what likes String Essentials.

Go Back to forum