• Register
  • Help

Topic: Chaos Dreams - Complete Symphony

Share/Bookmark

Chaos Dreams - Complete Symphony

Here is my complete 4 movement work for Orchestra. I am sure it will be changed for I am being coached by a composition mentor, Jeff Mumford who studied with Elliott Carter.

Just go to the folder and listen to whatever movement captures your attention.

Chaos Dreams - Movement I

The piece is created from 2 divised scales, one a two oictave scale based on a M2 and a m3 and the second a three octave scale based on a m2 and a M3.

Enjoy (or not)
    WARNING: This may be disturbing to some.

Best regards
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Chaos Dreams - Complete Symphony

I liked it and enjoyed listening. This is dark and foreboding and really does not give closure in the 4th movement.

Good work...
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks for listening Rich. You are alone in this forum. I have probably made too many mistakes here to be forgiven or have my music listened to.

Thanks Garritan board for being a friend for awhile. I'll be back someday, hopefully to a better crowd.

Hasta la Vista.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Thanks for listening Rich. You are alone in this forum. I have probably made too many mistakes here to be forgiven or have my music listened to. Bill
    It is not that I don't want to listen, I just have too little time to do. So now I started.

First part: put a bit more drama into it, it deserves it. With drama I mean, more dynamics changes, more from pp to ff. Now you have everything between mf and ff, more on the f-side. In particular the strings. Give the melody a bit more juice. Within the scale span there are a lot more variations to make. Now it sounds a bit "dull", because of the "repetitions".

Second part: those tremolo-ed strings will have more "impact" when played softer at the beginning, with crescendo and decrescendo to them. The theme starting with the pizzicato is very nice, but you have the brass a bit too much in the foreground. Good heavens, a lot of very nice material in this, make some melodies unisono, it give your tremendous amount of drama and lower the presence of the brass and clarinet.

Third part: great opening with those basses, really "invasion" and then those tubas coming in. Can they really play that fast? Ha, the thread is creaping in with that rhythmic background to go back to the opening with the basses. Really great doing, though I don't like the melody used. It is not "overwhelmed" enough, lacks drama. Overall impression, great stuff that needs some alterations. Again the volume of the strings!!!

Fourth part: titled as "desolation" this must be it. Now that I have listened to all of your music, you tend repeating the melodic line a bit too much for my ears. You are great when it comes to unisono effects. That rhythmic part is the best for my ears and imagination...... pizzicato gives great drama to it, wonderful. [I hear some oversteering here and then from the left coming at about 3 minutes].

At the whole, for me it is very strange music, the melodic lines aren't my cup of tea, but it has so many good things in it, that I must congratulate you with this piece.

Raymond - the first music I've heard on this monday morning.

Bill
    Gee, based on that comment I expected something "difficult" and was ready to duck. Instead, I heard something very listenable.

I didn't exactly follow your description of the tonal structure, but I definitely heard the tonal similarity across the movements so I assume I heard what you were describing. That provided a feeling of unity to the work.

I admit I didn't pick up on the melodic / motific (if that's a word) flow in each movement, but that takes multiple hearings. I be I'll hear more on next listening.

Post it again if you make changes.

Pat

Awesome job Bill!! I loved it. Very cohesive work in my opinion.

I really enjoyed the second movement with it's rhythmic intensity. Third movement provided some "relief" with the almost comedic interruption, but still true to the overall structure. And finally book ended with a more serious and somber movement as the first was.

My impression was the fourth movement contained motifs from the previous three movements. I liked the brass in the last movement and found myself wanting to hear a little more of that maybe instead of the woodwinds.

Outstanding job Bill.

Steve Winkler

Here is my complete 4 movement work for Orchestra. I am sure it will be changed for I am being coached by a composition mentor, Jeff Mumford who studied with Elliott Carter.

Just go to the folder and listen to whatever movement captures your attention.

Chaos Dreams

The piece is created from 2 divised scales, one a two oictave scale based on a M2 and a m3 and the second a three octave scale based on a m2 and a M3.

Enjoy (or not)

Best regards
    Bill
    That warning gets you extra bonus points right from the get-go Bill.

Now for the music. There were a few times the levels seemed a little to hot to me but they were short enough that they didn't effect the over all sound. All in all, this is a very nice piece of work Bill and I like your mix also.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Thanks all for listening. The first two movements have changed since I worked with my mentor. I will post when they are re-worked completely.

The re-worked first movement has been posted in the first message of this thread.

For those that post threads from newest to oldest it can be found here:

Enjoy

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

I have updated MM I and it can be heard here:

Unknown Events

Best,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum