• Register
  • Help

Topic: What are best orchestral sounds in Vienna libraries?

Share/Bookmark

What are best orchestral sounds in Vienna libraries?

What are best orchestral sounds in Vienna libraries? or if hardtell what are worst.

Re: What are best orchestral sounds in Vienna libraries?

It seems that people are most complimentary of the VSL brass, in particular the horns (epic horns extra especially) which are available in an abbreviated version inside of Special Edition or a download, or you can get the full library in Brass II.

In terms of worst sounds, it seems people tend to like to hate on their strings, but I don't think they are all that bad, just complicated (like a crazy guy or chick that you can't figure out). And some people tend to like the solo strings A LOT (I must say they can be pretty warm and buttery at times).

Re: What are best orchestral sounds in Vienna libraries?

I have the VSL Special Edition, Extended Edition and the full Appasionatta Strings. The woodwinds are really great as are the solo and chamber strings. As mentioned above the Epic Horns are also really nice. The sounds I don't like as much are the trombone section (too sterile, wish it was more beefy), the trumpet section (I want to get the fanfare trumpets), and the timpani (sounds very dull, I use the EW Gold timpani)

I purchased the Appasionatta Strings thinking they would be the Holy Grail of huge lush warm strings. While they are very nice, to me, they just don't have the super warmth. Alot of this, I'm sure, is my inept skills as a composer. I believe that they were masterfully sampled.

Also the Vienna Player is the best sample player I have experienced by far. I love how you can customize a matrix with velocity or speed etc. Superb!

I always thought of Vienna as the "Rolls Royce" of orchestra samples. They were a bit pricey for my budget. When they came out with the SE versions I made the jump and have not regretted it for a second.

Hope some of this helps,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Go Back to forum