• Register
  • Help

Topic: Breath noise in Finale 2010

Share/Bookmark

Breath noise in Finale 2010

I cannot seem to rid myself of the breath noise in the wind instruments of JABB. I can start with a blank score, press play, and all of the wind instruments develop 'asthma'. The voices go from zero breath noise to having over 50% breath noise parameters, and I haven't recorded any MIDI data. It's frustrating because all of my wind voices sound extremely 'fuzzy'. I can zero them with the measure expression tool (CC#12), but that means I have to start every playback from the measure where I put in that expression.

Anyone have some insight into my issue?

Thanks very much.

...Brent
    Swing Shift Big Band - Toronto

Intel(R) Core(TM)2CPU
    6300 @ 1.86GHz
    1.86 GHz, 2.99 GB of RAM

Re: Breath noise in Finale 2010

Ditto in Sibelius. They start fine and immediately upon first edit start to get overpowering breath and key clicks. "Midi messages don't seem to help like ~(CC#12-0) for breath and ~(CC#13-0) key clicks

I finally figured out how to eliminate it in Finale. I discovered that in the mixer tool that if reverb was set above 0 it would cause the breath noise. I don't know the connection, but I do know that as soon as I zeroed the reverb in the mixer, those sounds disappeared. I hope that you can find a similar fix in Sibelius.

Thanks for your post.

...Brent
    Last edited by B Turner; 06-02-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: spelling error
    Swing Shift Big Band - Toronto

Intel(R) Core(TM)2CPU
    6300 @ 1.86GHz
    1.86 GHz, 2.99 GB of RAM

Thanks for this tip, Brent. I ran into the same thing with Finale 2011. I finished a score for combined orchestra and choir with an added Alto Sax solo using JABB. You're right, with the breathe noise in there, it really creates a fuzzy sound and doesn't blend well with the rest of the instruments. I will try your suggestion tonight and let you know.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Go Back to forum