• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Audio device

Share/Bookmark

Smile Audio device

Hi to everyone

I'm new to Garritan Steinway as I've just bought the Pro version!

I have a nice Roland HP204 digital piano and I'm going to buy a new PC, but for the moment I will try the software on the current one installing it into a brand new 160GB SSD Intel x25 m G2 (<1 ms of random access to the data!).

Would you please be so kind to suggest me some audio device to check in order to record in high quality? I will record only classical piano pieces but I don't know the procedures/softwares to register.

Again, my piano has MIDI out via USB: is it better to exit via MIDI directly to an Audio device instead of using the USB ports?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
    Luca

Re: Audio device

When using the Garritan Steinway I use an M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB audio interface. I connect my DP via USB as well. Some say that there may be a slight decrease in latency (a few ms) when using the MIDI ports instead of going USB but I don't consider the 5.4 ms I'm getting to be a problem at all.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by sazemaster View Post
    Hi to everyone

I'm new to Garritan Steinway as I've just bought the Pro version!

I have a nice Roland HP204 digital piano and I'm going to buy a new PC, but for the moment I will try the software on the current one installing it into a brand new 160GB SSD Intel x25 m G2 (<1 ms of random access to the data!).

Would you please be so kind to suggest me some audio device to check in order to record in high quality? I will record only classical piano pieces but I don't know the procedures/softwares to register.

Again, my piano has MIDI out via USB: is it better to exit via MIDI directly to an Audio device instead of using the USB ports?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
    Luca
    Hi Sazemaster and welcome,
    Curt's suggestion of a Fast Track Pro is a good one. Since you're just getting into the hobby of digital audio work my recommendation is to find a good, low-cost USB or Firewire Unit. The audio quality of the Garritan Steinway is not dependent on the quality of the unit's converters or preamps since it's a sample library. The MIDI from your keyboard is sending it instructions on how to combine recorded samples and do the math "in the box." USB will be perfectly fine to connect your keyboard, by the way.

For software, a lot of people here use Cakewalk Sonar or Sonar Home Studio on PC. Steinberg Cubase or Studio and Cockos Reaper are two other options that work well. You want a program with support for VST instruments.

Hope this helps,
    Reegs

Hey, thanks!

So you are suggesting me to buy this one? I wonder if there is an USB port to connect my piano or if I'll have to use standard MIDI.. Anyway, it's true that using Garritan Steinway the sound is not vitiated because it is sampled but it's also true that the latency will change the experience of playing if perceptible. It's better internal or external this device?

Even the sampling rate is to consider IMHO.. I don't know what the Garritan Steinway frequency of sampling is like.. it's higher than 92K?

Thanks folks

That's the box! And I connect the piano directly to the PC via USB, not to the M-Audio box and then to the PC. This means that you will be using TWO USB ports on your PC.

If this isn't an option for you then by all means run a MIDI cable from your piano to the M-Audio box (and then USB from the box to your PC).

Internal audio will always be better as you are running directly on the internal bus but today's external USB devices are quite awesome. As I stated, 5.4 ms using this M-Audio box is unnoticeable and shouldn't affect your playing at all.

You are safe using the Garritan at 44k. No need to crank up your machine any higher (Jeff from Garritan posted this info here a little while ago when someone was asking about running their machines at 96k).

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    That's the box! And I connect the piano directly to the PC via USB, not to the M-Audio box and then to the PC. This means that you will be using TWO USB ports on your PC.

If this isn't an option for you then by all means run a MIDI cable from your piano to the M-Audio box (and then USB from the box to your PC).

Internal audio will always be better as you are running directly on the internal bus but today's external USB devices are quite awesome. As I stated, 5.4 ms using this M-Audio box is unnoticeable and shouldn't affect your playing at all.

You are safe using the Garritan at 44k. No need to crank up your machine any higher (Jeff from Garritan posted this info here a little while ago when someone was asking about running their machines at 96k).

Curt
    Thanks Curt, I appreciate your reply

Anyway, I had bad experiences in the past with external audio boxes, so I think I would prefer an internal audio device.. Do you have any suggestions? There is one with USB port in which connect the usb-midi cable?

Thanks again ^_^

ps: I already read about the post you're talking about! But, an audio CD can be recorded with a sampling higher than 44k for extra quality?

I don't know of any device that has USB input, no. I've had bad experiences with both internal AND external devices (mostly with internal!) but this M-Audio box has been perfect.

And CDs are ALWAYS 44k/16bit. They may be produced from a 48 or 96k/24 bit master but once the data hits the disc it's 44/16. The only exception to this would be SACD which reads sample rates at 2822k but the platform has all but flopped in the mainstream market.

Curt

Thanks again Curt You are so kind..

So this box will totally replace the internal device? I think it's just an input device to connect various instruments/accessories.. I mean, will it calculate all the audio signals within the PC or is just a periphery where I'll connect the standard midi cable..
    This said, is it useful? What's its purpose and the difference from an integrated one as the one I'll get with this motherboard?

My only need is to connect the USB (MIDI) Piano, have a fast audio device to calculate the data given by the Garritan Steinway Professional software and have an acceptable system to record my performance so I can burn them to a CD with the best quality possible.

Thanks again for your support

Luca

Quote Originally Posted by sazemaster View Post
    My only need is to connect the USB (MIDI) Piano, have a fast audio device to calculate the data given by the Garritan Steinway Professional software and have an acceptable system to record my performance so I can burn them to a CD with the best quality possible.
    Luca
    This is exactly what I use it for! And yes, all audio processing is done in the box. That's what it's designed to do and it does a great job. It also has 1/4" ins in case you want to send audio from another device into your computer and it has balanced line outs for connection to a nice powered monitor system. It's the best $200 I've spent on computer gear (and I loathe computers!).

You should know that I'm using a notebook computer where external audio is almost ALWAYS a necessity. Your options on a desktop are much greater and internal cards are plentiful. But I must say that Creative would not be my top choice - they're more for gaming than music creation. You might want to check out EMU ($$).

Curt

Great! It does what I need : ))

I read about E-MU some week ago.. I was looking the 1212 PCI-e.. it doesn't cost so much.. around 200 USD (150 EUR).. it seems (to me) even better as it goes up to 24-bit/192 KHz, even if it's useless for mastering a CD..

What's better for you? : ) considering that I don't need any input/output at the moment, only the higher calculation power possible to let me use Garritan Steinway Pro with all the effects on (like the strings resonance, reverb etc.)!

Thanks once again for your kindness

ps: I ordered the Intel SSD.. I was astonished when I read about its specs!!! :O

Luca

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast