• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt Player - Volume Sliders Keep Resetting

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt Player - Volume Sliders Keep Resetting

I am using the K4 as a player. I have 8 tracks setup in one instance of the player and have been using the volume sliders to balance the tracks.

The problem now is that in one of my big projects, the sliders snap back to the original positions when I restart playback. I can balance the tracks whilst playing and all seems well .. until I stop and restart playback.

In another project I don't have this problem. I can mix away as much as I want and the sliders always stay as I set them.

I have checked the MIDI data in sonar for both projects looking for any stray controllers that have crept in but they are exactly the same. I have asked in the NI forums and had two suggestions concerning CC7 and automation, but I have already checked these.

Does anyone here have any other suggestions on what could cause this problem.

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Kontakt Player - Volume Sliders Keep Resetting

Hmmmm, a new issue with Kontakt Player 4 it would seem. In the KP2 which I still use (I haven't seen a need to upgrade--?) the MIDI volume sliders in Sonar don't effect the sliders in KP2. I just now checked to make sure. But it sounds as if in KP4, those MIDI volume sliders (not to be confused with the VST audio sliders) in Sonar must be controlling the sample player's sliders. In Aria, there's a direct connection--one can end up with competing volume info if trying to use both Aria's sliders and the MIDI volume sliders in Sonar.

It's a curious situation, Michael. I'm sorry I don't have an answer. I do have a suggestion though - With such a massive program like Sonar at your disposal, I think you would be better off to leave the KP4 faders pretty much out of the equation in your mix. All I ever do with volume faders in KP2 and Aria is just make sure a strong healthy signal is coming out, and then all the actual balancing of instruments, mixing of the project is done in Sonar. I feel it's kind of like trying to control a massive vehicle by trying to push it along with a Tricycle - the big vehicle being Sonar and your project inside it, and the Tricycle being the audio engine you're trying to use for mixing.

--Maybe?

Randy

Hello Randy,

Thanks for your reply; it's much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

It's a curious situation, Michael. I'm sorry I don't have an answer. I do have a suggestion though - With such a massive program like Sonar at your disposal, I think you would be better off to leave the KP4 faders pretty much out of the equation in your mix. All I ever do with volume faders in KP2 and Aria is just make sure a strong healthy signal is coming out, and then all the actual balancing of instruments, mixing of the project is done in Sonar. I feel it's kind of like trying to control a massive vehicle by trying to push it along with a Tricycle - the big vehicle being Sonar and your project inside it, and the Tricycle being the audio engine you're trying to use for mixing.

--Maybe?

Randy
    This is exactly what I'm going to do now. I've wasted so much time and emotional energy (frustration ) on this now instead of on my music.

The strange thing is, the way you suggested is the way I've always worked. Then along came Kontakt 4 with these (new?) features and I go with it.

Sometimes I think that the latest and greatest isn't always the case and that the older ways work best a lot of the time.
    Michael

Michael

It's a bit more involved to turn off the option to accept the volume and pan events in K2 and K4. The original GPO was easy--there was an options button below the "LOAD" button on the player. Open that, and the "Accept standard controllers for volume and pan" was right there. It was global, if I remember correctly.

With K2 and K4, you need to click the "gears" (K2) or "wrench" (K4) in the upper left-hand corner of an instrument.

Then:

In K2, select the Controllers tab and uncheck "Accept standard controllers for volume and pan".

In K4, click the "Instrument Options" button (upper left), select the Controller tab, and uncheck the like-named option.

It doesn't appear to be global. Unless someone else knows a short-cut, you need to do this for each instrument.
    Bill

Hi, Bill - So KP4 works the same way in that regard as KP2 - OK. But the default in KP2 for "accept volume and pan" is Off. -- So maybe KP4 defaults with them On--? Michael's problem is from competing messages between Sonar and KP4, so that must be the case. But in KP2 the defaults, off, are what you want. I never changed those, so I could maintain autonomy between the sliders in the sample player and those in Sonar.

Randy B.

Hello Bill,

Thanks for that info. Switching off that option made the difference. I can now mix my individual kit pieces in the one player.

[Quote: Randy] ..... So maybe KP4 defaults with them On ..... [Unquote]

This is the strange thing .. they load up 'On' for some instruments and 'Off' for others. There must be some logic to this somewhere.

Anyway, thanks to you both. It's much appreciated.
    Michael

You're welcome, Michael.

It's hard to say why the setting is inconsistent across the instruments.

Starting with K(P)2, it looks like the "standard CC" option moved from a global setting to a per-instrument setting. The global setting actually still exists, visible in the registry, but is apparently ignored in favor of the per-instrument value. That makes sense because if they conflict, the instrument's setting must win out.

If you have full K4 (or K2), it is possible to change the setting for each instrument and save the instrument definition. Next time the instrument loads, the setting will be as you saved it.
    Bill

Thanks again, Bill - This is interesting info on the new KP4 (which I'm still not inspired to get--KP2 does me fine when I need it). It was much more logical to have this MIDI control setting OFF, as in KP2. Look what it does to a GPO user in KP4, with it being On.

Michael, I think you know that I spend at least half my time on a project working on the audio. I don't deal with MIDI volumes beyond setting an optimum playback level for each instrument, and then the more complex balancing and mixing work is done after I've bounced tracks to audio.

That's why I never do anything with the MIDI tracks in Sonar, I hide them in the Console view where I do my mixing, and I routinely push the volumes up higher than the defaults in KP2. Aria, on the other hand, has generally louder volume defaults - in fact, they're actually too high - easy to get distortion when using the defaults in Aria.

But some people want to do a lot of MIDI volume changes in their projects, and so connecting the Sonar MIDI faders to the sample player's faders can be useful to them - as long as they don't ball themselves up with competing data.

And of course we're talking about an instrument's general volume setting, not the expressive volume changes that happen during a piece.

Sounds like you're plowing through and getting some work done. Good!

Randy

Go Back to forum